Not quite the same color....now what?

Something has been keeping the grey pan from rusting. If it gets removed than it should flash rust and could then be seasoned.

I use lard for seasoning and after a second baking at 450/475 it has not failed to come out shiny black. Crisco may not do as well. My fear of cracking comes at 500°. There is a 500 Club out there that pats themselves on the back for going there with success.

Hilditch

Something has been keeping the grey pan from rusting. If it gets removed than it should flash rust and could then be seasoned.

I use lard for seasoning and after a second baking at 450/475 it has not failed to come out shiny black. Crisco may not do as well. My fear of cracking comes at 500°. There is a 500 Club out there that pats themselves on the back for going there with success.

Hilditch

I've been using Crisco and taking it to 5. No problemo.

What would happen if it had been coated with mineral oil? Anybody have any experience with that?

500 or 550 should not be a problem in the oven. It's not like a cold pan is being spot heated on a burner too fast; the entire pan is getting hot evenly all at once. Might not do it to a thin-walled Erie in otherwise perfect condition out of erring on the side of caution, but I wouldn't worry about more modern-gauge castings.

Mineral oil is talked about here:

http://www.castironcollector.com/seasoning.php#display

Back