Baltimore Two Gallon Kettle

GB Page 38 D section legs, Page 40 that is my kettle only that kettle has Triangular section legs.

So yes, 1760 1780 would be fair to say.:icon_thumbsup:
Wow!!! Before, or during the Revolutionary War? Holy COW!

George Washington might have eaten out of that pot! (well, OK, probably not, but it would make a great eBay claim!)

It came from an old VT family estate. As I was told that it had been with the family as long as they can remember. History my friend History.

Jeffrey, those are gorgeous.

Any kettles I've seen for sale were in terrible shape, huge on the want list.

History my friend History.

You just said a mouthful. Every piece of cast I clean, can't help but wonder where it came from, who used it, how did it get here...

Jeffrey, This post inspired me to buy this kettle last Halloween.
http://i.imgur.com/C9VHh8j.jpg

I bought this lid a couple of days ago thinking it would look cool sitting on top of the kettle.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cas...QjjUS%2FtYkOmMA%2BMeo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I haven't purchased the Grey book yet. Can you tell me anything about the lid? The lines in it reminded me of the lines on the lid you have on yours. I figured the 4 & 5 meant it was designed to fit more than one kettle.

Bonnie: Wow! I've never seen another lid like that. Hope it cleans up well for you and fits the kettle okay. I'm glad both items found a good home!:icon_thumbsup:

Thanks Sharon, at first I thought it was a reproduction from looking at the handle but the underside makes me think not. I just ordered the Grey book.

No feet on your kettle? I would date it to a time period when cook stoves were being made, later half 1800s. Kettles and pots with legs were for hearth cooking, being earlier.
If the legs are broken off, it might because the early owner wanted to use it on his / her stove top. Also if it did have legs, it very much be earlier.

Dating is by the style and shape of both the legs and the handle ears.

I would date your lid in the same time period. Very hard to narrow it down, unless we all knew a little more.

Fancy handle. We need to remember that foreign pieces were imported into this country. I have never seen a fancy handle like yours on an american piece, but have seen your gate mark style on an american piece. But I have not seen it all

I am inclined to agree with you that the (not orange) lid is for two kettle sizes. Looking at the lip on the underside of the lid is quite wide. Thinking that the ring went on the outside for the #4 kettle and on the inside for the #5 kettle. Make any sense?

Just my thoughts.

Back