Wondering About Wapak..

SeanD

I was just wondering, why do ALL Wapaks have casting flaws? I know they used molds from Griswold and others probably, but why did they all turn out with the flaws? Trust me, I LOVE all Wapaks, mainly due to each one of them being totally unique.....the flaws are mainly why I started to collect Wapak, each one is different, even the same size skillets, ect. have their own personality...any ifo would be GREAT!

Wapak didn't use the patterns (single-use sand molds are created using patterns) of other makers. They modified and used pans from others as (or as the basis of) their patterns. Ghost marks tell us other makers were guilty of the practice as well, e.g. Erie ghosts on Wagner, Erie ghosts on Favorite, Erie ghosts on Sidney Hollow Ware, Wagner National ghosts on Oneta. There are even both Erie and Wagner ghosts on the same Wapak pan. We know from Griswold's ghosts on their own pans that they wrung every last bit of use from their patterns. There would have been no reason for them to assist multiple competitors by selling off old patterns. By the time Griswold got around to outright replacing patterns (SBL ca. 1939), Wapak was long out of business. As to Wapak's sub-standard castings, perhaps they just weren't as adept as those others.

Thank You Doug for the information. I wondered about selling molds too....didnt make sense to help your competition.The information was great. I also wonder why they actually went under as a business? Just another question....Did they make their whole line of CI with the tapered logo? I have seen a few things, such as bean pots, waffle irons, ect. Just wondering....my mind never quits. :)

Never thought about it. Perhaps do an eBay or a Google image search for "Wapak cast iron" and see how many different pieces with that style logo come up.

Gentleman, I have several Wapak pieces that are in use, probably once or twice a week. I have noticed that everyone of them has a small casting defect, Usually small and not important but non the less , it is a small defect. I did not understand that was normal Wapak. David

What Wapaks are you using daily? I use all of mine too, and I love my skilets. The casting flaws are drew me to Wapak years ago, been collecting ever since. They are all different from each other and other brands of CI.

Back