Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > New Collector's Corner

Notices

New Collector's Corner A Friendly Forum for Those New to the Hobby. No Question Is Too Basic, So Ask Away.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:13 AM

Default Do others feel compelled to correct Ebay ads

Sometimes when I see a blatantly wrong title and description in an Ebay add, I want to message the seller. Almost always the error is in the benefit of the seller.
I've not messaged them yet, but the idea is definitely there.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2016, 09:50 AM
Site Admin

Default Re: Do others feel compelled to correct Ebay ads

It's a crapshoot. Some are very grateful for the help, others not so much or even occasionally downright ugly. Many times you'll get a "Thank you so much for that helpful information." And then they don't change the listing.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:31 AM

Iíll second Doug. When shopping for something, bad or lack of info. jumps out at me. Now I only contact the seller if they are small and the info. will help them be honest or sell the item. I try to weed out the BS & lies and let them be.

Like a seller with a glass salt cellar. She said & showed it said combination on it, but she didnít know combination what. I told her it was a combination salt cellar and knife rest and got kisses in return.

Hilditch
Old 08-01-2016, 05:09 PM

Funny you should ask that question ME....Last week I contacted a seller that had listed a Griswold DO w/ hammered finish. In her detail she gave the lid I.D. # A2108C which I recognized as a skillet cover. I contacted her to simply let her know the description of her item was a skillet cover that did not go with the DO and that the DO was not even hammered.
Her reply back to me was as follows; Ask if I thought she faked the Griswold stamp on the lid. Didn't know that eBay had a sheriff. She didn't have to explain to me. Get a life and stop harassing her. If I contact her again she would report me to eBay.
The seller was a member since 2009 w/ 302 sales w/ a 100% rating. In my effort to try and help her maintain a good rating and avoid false advertising I got a very nasty e-mail, thus it may not always be advisable to try and correct a seller when they have an incorrect description.

What's really satisfying is the seller removed the item listed less than an hour after she sent me her message and so far has not re-listed it. Guess I got the last laugh even though I really wanted to reply to her nasty mail to me.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:40 PM

I think its worth the risk. I feel bad if someone buys an item believing the add, so maybe you stopped that from happening.