Anyone make CI Skillet brownies?

PeteK

I'm in charge of dessert for four adults and five kids on Christmas day! I wanted to do something like this:
SkilletBrownies1RS.jpg

There are only two problems:
* I've never done anything like this before
* I only have two #3 and one #6 pans. The rest are larger. I'm still growing my collection.

I was hoping I could do something like this with the three pans I have. And I was really hoping to be able to use a box of Betty Crocker or the like to save time and mess. I assume I'd be doing this right after we eat.

Thoughts? Comments? Anecdotes? Thanks in advance.
Don't be afraid to tell me that you think it's a mistake to try this on X-mas day if that's the case. But I figure that if it turns out bad, at least we can have ice cream! :icon_thumbsup:

I wouldn't think so. I do note that some recipes call for non-stick spray on the pan or the like, and some don't address that issue at all.

I've all but abandoned the use of non-stick spray. I generally use coconut oil these days. It works pretty well.

If you use the 2 #3s and the #6 it will look nice with the #6 in the center and a #3 on each side, being served from the skillet.
I would wipe a thin coat of your coconut oil inside the skillets, also preheat them.

Photos after Please, And have a Marry Christmas:biggrin:

I chickened out at the last minute. I need to practice with it before I go all in on Christmas Day, lol.

Earlier in the day I'd done some bacon in my new #5, because I've heard that bacon is a great first thing to cook after seasoning, but after rinsing it out, it looked horrible. It and my #7 which just doesn't look or feel right are going in the lye bath and starting from scratch.

I chickened out at the last minute. I need to practice with it before I go all in on Christmas Day, lol.

Just think, you have all year to practice for next Christmas. You be doing a lot of :glutton:

Hit the skillet with a little spray and start with a cold pan cooking bacon. Also do not the let heat get away from you. I have been cooking my bacon in a skillet in the oven, low and slow. I do not like my bacon to crisped. Cooking it low and slow breaks down a lot of the fat, drain that off for your eggs. :biggrin:

Try ghee for seasoning your skillets, very high smoke point. :icon_scratchchin:

So I tried it tonight. The results were amazing. I lined the pans with coconut oil and baked them at 325.

brownies.jpg

362 more days of practice. Looks like you are off to a good start. Just think of all the brownies you can eat by yourself. :icon_thumbsup:

I've been planning to do this sometime soon myself. I will say that your best bet for boxed brownie mixes is Duncan Hines. I have tried them all (including the more expensive stuff like Godiva) and DH always produces the most consistent and best brownies. I'll post my results when I do get around to it.

PeteK, which brand did you end up using? Or did you make yours from scratch?

PeteK, which brand did you end up using? Or did you make yours from scratch?

Um, whatever was on sale (I forget). Probably Duncan Hines...:-D

I will say that I always follow the recipe for fudge-like brownies (fewer eggs).

Back