Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 09-05-2019, 06:48 PM

Default Recommendations on what season process.

I have two cast iron pans, I've been using for the last few years. One is a lodge and the other was my grandmother's I restored a few years back. I've been having a little trouble getting the seasoning on my grandmother #8 cast iron. I've been using a combination of bacon fat and flat seed oil for both skillet. For the # 8 skillet I haven't had any luck getting to non stick. The season either flakes off or doesn't stay. I thought about using Crisco to start the season process at some point. Here is a picture what both skillets look like as of now.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2019, 07:29 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: Recommendations on what season process.

Crisco is the old tried-and-true. Flax seed is known to have adhesion problems. Unknown if mixing it with bacon grease has any pluses or minuses.

See: http://www.castironcollector.com/seasoning.php to compare your process with conventional wisdom. Bear in mind that the "non-stick" will take some time to develop and won't actually ever be Teflon level non-stick.

Note: Your photo was hosted on a site associated with adware, deceptive popups and browser hijacking. It has been moved out of harm's way to the forum's imgur folder. Please consider using imgur or another host as linking to imgbb.com here will be disabled going forward.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Recommendations on what season process.

I agree.....Crisco for the initial seasoning, after stripping it....then bacon grease or Crisco will be fine. I use bacon grease on the ones I use a lot, due to the greas might become rancid.