Cleaning a #4 Yankee Bowl

WallyF

I need advice.

Cleaned this Yankee Bowl a couple weeks ago. Wasn't satisfied with the inside, so stripped it again and another round in the e-tank.

While cleaning it last night, went through almost 1/2 roll of paper towels that pulled off an amazing amount of black stuff (think it is rust). Finally got to where the paper towels were only a little grayish.

Into the oven to dry and then raise the temp in prep for the canola oil. As I applied the oil, more black stuff from the inside surface as I wipe it off. Back into the oven for 5 minutes. Reapply a little more oil. More black stuff as I wipe it off. put it back in the oven for 15 minutes. Wiped it good still some black stuff. Back in the over for 35 minutes. The picture of the bowl is after I removed it from the oven this afternoon. The paper towels are from the 2nd application of oil last night.

Should I strip it again? Preseason until the black stops coming off? Other suggestions?

https://imgur.com/a/GY93H

Thanks in advance.

It looks like magnetite (Fe3O4). This is what you are looking for in traditional gun bluing. If it were mine, I would just season as usual. You will get a beautiful black finish that many people look for (myself included) in their cast iron.

First things first, gorgeous bowl. When I have pieces that have the black residue as in drying them, I wash them again with a liberal amount of Dawn and very little water inside and out. This will work most of the time for me.

I can't think of a time that I have had that was as bad as that. If it was me since I'm a user, I would strip it again and season it making sure the old black oil is gone.

If you can, create a fresh lye bath for that piece.

Lye won't do anything to magnetite. Magnetite is another form of "rust". I've been trying to get a good magnetite layer without a hot salt bath, but to no avail. Do as you wish, but I wish I could get that finish before seasoning. It will give you a good corrosion resistant finish, and as a side effect, you'll get a good even dark black look to it.

Your choice as how to proceed, it is your piece.

Back