Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 11-22-2016, 08:10 PM

Default Anyone Dutch Oven a turkey?

I have cooked whole chickens in my Dutch ovens and have been pleased with the results, So Thursday is Thanksgiving and I am responsible for the turkey. There well be at least twenty people and I usually smoke a turkey on the outdoor smoker. It's too late to change plans now but I was wondering if anyone had cooked one in a Dutch oven. The turkey should be small, about ten lbs or less, and the Dutch oven needs to be a big one. I like turkey and think this might be a good plan. Anyway, has anyone done this? How did it turn out. Thinking about this is making me hungry. David
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2016, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Anyone Dutch Oven a turkey?

Ive never tried it, but here's a recipe for baking a turkey in a 7 qt Dutch oven. I saw it yesterday when I was searching for something else on there.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/recipe/simpl...n-a-Dutch-oven
Old 11-22-2016, 11:24 PM

Here is a YouTube video I came upon:

https://youtu.be/M4TejuZOWrk

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Haven't tried it myself, but I've thought about it.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:26 PM

Just seen and read this one the other day

http://www.modemac.com/cgi-bin/wiki....y_in_Cast_Iron
Old 11-23-2016, 05:31 PM

The last two posts are the same thing, another overcooked turkey. To me the perfect turkey is a stuffed and lightly smoked bird, without the stuffing being smoked, and with the white meat at 145 F and the dark meat at 165 F.

It is complicated, but it can be done. It requires techniques taken form spatchcocking, barbecuing/smoking and baking. Cut the bird into the major joints, smoke it with its feet to the fire, stuff it and bake till done. Tie it back up with thread for presentation. Details are self taught.

Hilditch
Old 11-23-2016, 06:37 PM
Site Admin

Video and last link are the same guy. 180F internal is too high for turkey, and you can see in the carving segment the white meat is not juicy at all and is hard to pull the carving fork out of. Turkey is best brined, roasted unstuffed, and taken to an internal of 161F measured in the breast. Residual heat will take it to 165, maybe a little higher, and that's fine, the brine gives several degrees margin for error. Dark meat cooks faster than white, so when the breast reaches 165, the thigh should be about 10 degrees higher, which is what you want. Breaking the thigh joint before cooking can help it to better cook through. Carve by slicing off each half of the breast in one large piece, then slice medallions across the grain. 145/165 in the breast/thigh noted above may technically be safe, but most will not find it palatable.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:43 PM

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll do mine fried like I've done for the last 15 years or so.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug D. View Post
Video and last link are the same guy. 180F internal is too high for turkey, and you can see in the carving segment the white meat is not juicy at all and is hard to pull the carving fork out of. Turkey is best brined, roasted unstuffed, and taken to an internal of 161F measured in the breast. Residual heat will take it to 165, maybe a little higher, and that's fine, the brine gives several degrees margin for error. Dark meat cooks faster than white, so when the breast reaches 165, the thigh should be about 10 degrees higher, which is what you want. Breaking the thigh joint before cooking can help it to better cook through. Carve by slicing off each half of the breast in one large piece, then slice medallions across the grain. 145/165 in the breast/thigh noted above may technically be safe, but most will not find it palatable.
I agree with this one, though I smoke it (at 350 degrees to crisp the skin, instead of "low and slow"). But brining, roasting unstuffed, cooking temps, and carving tips are spot-on.

Note a "self basting" turkey is already brined.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:22 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricC View Post
Note a "self basting" turkey is already brined.
Yeah, but I prefer to do it myself. You can actually flavor brine a self-basting turkey, but it needs to be kept short, like a few hours.

Low and slow isn't the best course of action with turkey. You're not rendering fat and gelatinizing connective tissue like you are with barbecue meats. 12-14 pounds or more of cold bird in a smoker cooking at 225-250 spends too much time in the danger zone (40-140F), and it really ends up drying out the white meat.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:43 PM

Cook the turkey with the breast side down. Sounds weird but the dark meat over the Brest helps greatly with keeping the white meat moist. I do it for smoked turkey and chickens Turn and brown the top before serving.