Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 01-20-2016, 02:36 PM

Default questions about purchasing Griswold pans

Hi folks,

New to the forum. I'd like to purchase a few Griswold pans to replace my Lodge CI pans. Any suggestions as to the best place to purchase?

If they were cleaned/restored, does it matter which method was used?

Just wondering if there are things I should consider, given that I'm brand new to vintage cookware?

I'll be using them to cook, not collect. Would love a round (#9?) griddle pan for pancakes, as well as possibly #9, 10, and 12 skillets.

Thanks for any help in getting pointed in the right direction!
Deb
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2016, 03:05 PM

Default Re: questions about purchasing Griswold pans

There will be a whole host of members that will weigh in on your questions but I suggest that you start with our information data. http://www.castironcollector.com/hunting.php
Here you will find answers to most all your questions plus some knowledge of cast iron that you never thought about.
Local antique shops, resale shops, flea markets, e-Bay and a whole host of other sites will keep you busy for weeks if not months.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:00 PM

I'm a user more than a collector. I recommend buying one Griswold the same size as a Lodge user you have and try it out. Better yet, borrow one. You may not like the way they cook. I have Lodge and BSR. I wouldn't trade any one of them for 10 Griswolds or 20 Wagners. I will keep my Griswold waffle irons as they are the best.

Hilditch
Old 01-20-2016, 06:59 PM

I agree with Mr Hilditch. I have a few Lodge users and I would never replace them with a old weak Griswold. You have the best, be happy with them. David
Old 01-20-2016, 07:21 PM

Mr. Hilditch and David,

Thanks for your replies.

Do you have older or newer Lodge pans? I had read that the older pans had a smoother surface.

Deb
Old 01-20-2016, 08:18 PM

Certain pans are better for certain things. I love my 3 notch Lodge #8 when I'm searing a thick and juicy steak, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Griswold when I'm making scrambled eggs, which begs the question: Why not both?

Older Lodge pans are definitely smoother. There's a world of difference between a new one and one from the first half of the 20th century. You need to feel one of each to really appreciate the difference.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the Mr, but not required. Deb, where you are going depends on what is between your ears. Smoother to the fingers or the eye does not mean better cooking. Some of my Lodge is not machined and newer, but the seasoning has filled in the valleys and gone over the mountain tops to provide a smooth surface. Looks just like one I machined smooth. I like thick seasoning, some like thin. Cooking style/ability factors in more than the surface of a skillet. A smooth bottom is not a requirement for chasing an egg around a skillet, unless you think it is.

Hilditch
Old 01-21-2016, 10:28 AM

Im kinda new to this gang here but I use a 3 and 8 gris as my users. I also just refurbed an unmarked wagner for a friend. I cooked on it for about a month to build up the seasoning. Gris was much lighter but the wagner seemed like it cooked far more evenly. I suggest not locking yourself into one company and when you find a good deal, cook on it for awhile!
Old 01-21-2016, 11:17 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Makes so much sense. I'm going to restore/re-season my Lodge skillets and then keep an eye out for a good deal on a nice griddle, focusing on the griddle, and not the name =)
Old 01-21-2016, 11:59 AM

While I disagree with Hilditch about the smooth bottom being a requirement for successful egg chasing (it is if you want it to be fun), I do agree with an earlier post of his where he said you should look for a Griswold the same size as a Lodge you already have. A Wagner would also do, especially since they are of comparable quality to a Griswold but usually cost less. However, it's generally a good idea to avoid post-1960 Wagner iron. This link should help you avoid that pitfall.
http://www.castironcollector.com/noncollectible.php