Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 03-06-2020, 09:37 PM

Default Erie 2nd Series #9 Star Makers Mark Restoration

Hi,

I'm a newbie to vintage. This is my first and only pan and I plan to use it daily. It was found in a barn and hasn't been restored. I've read all I can find on restoring and seasoning and before I give it a go, I'm posting some pics and asking for recommendations.

I'm concerned about the outside bottom. I want to restore the pan while preserving the the lettering and star symbol. They seem to be in good shape. Would a 2" wire brush cup damage or reduce the legibility? Would 0000 steel wool and elbow grease suffice?

My restoration plan is the oven clean cycle and then a 50/50 vinegar water bath. I'm just unsure if I should wire brush the bottom. I assume the inside would be ok.

Having trouble with the pics. Hopefully this link works.

http://imgur.com/gallery/H1qFdwq
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2020, 11:55 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: Erie 2nd Series #9 Star Makers Mark Restoration

Do. Not. Use. Power. Tools. On. That. Pan.

Do. Not. Put. It. In. A. SCO.

Start here, but read the entire page: http://www.castironcollector.com/cleaning.php#caveats
Old 03-07-2020, 08:02 AM

You have found yourself a gorgeous pan that looks to be in great shape. Do listen to Doug's advice and you will have something you will proud of for years.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:32 AM

Please don't destroy that pan! Follow the instructions on this site that Doug is showing you!

You have a great piece of history.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:35 AM

BMyers
your pan is not very heavily gunked up and should clean up fairly easily using simple methods. Using power tools on a skillet can cause damage that is not reversible as well as possibly lowering resale value should you decide to one day sell it. Self cleaning ovens can warp and crack cast iron especially older thinner pans such as yours. If you scroll to the top of the link Doug provided you will see several methods that will clean your item without damaging it, I would try the oven cleaner method for a single pan in that condition.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:26 AM

I just got back from the store with everything needed to follow the recommendations in the restoration and seasoning articles linked by Doug.

Thank you Doug and everyone for saving this pan from the not so great advice I read on the internet and watched on YouTube.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:09 PM

Yes some of the YouTube stuff is more than a little odd.......
You pan looks very nice right now but with a good cleaning and some seasoning it will a great pan.

After a good seasoning I agree with a lot of people that cooking Bacon or Hamburger helps a lot.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:40 PM

that's a beauty that has made it 130 some odd years with no real damage... do no harm... collectors would pay 200+ for a pan in that condition, with the nice markings and pattern maker's mark.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:56 PM

UPDATE:
The pan hasn't been restored yet and is currently sitting in a safe/dry location. I haven't started yet because I'm unsure of a couple of things.

As others have pointed out, the pan isn't very grimy so I plan to use the "Basic" method recommended in the article linked by Doug above. One thing I'm unsure of is if it would hurt anything to store the pan in the garage during the easy-off lye soak stage. The article said its best to keep it in a warm place away from kids and I have two small boys who get into everything so I cannot bring it into the house. I live in new mexico and the lows have been mid-30's and high mid-50's. Not freezing winter conditions so I assume it should be fine but just not as effective.

In the article it pointed out to not use the reduced odor easy-off because it may contain other active ingredients. When I read this I thought of the trash bags because all I had on hand was scented kitchen trash bags. I looked it up online and they do contain active ingredients but I have no idea if this would affect the process. To play it safe and to follow what I think is the intent of the article, I'll be using the thick heavy duty unscented garbage bags.

The last thing was if it matters which way the pan sits, upside down or right-side up, during the easy-off lye soak stage. I assume you don't have to worry about the soak leaving pooling marks. The cooking surface of this pan isn't very grimy so I was planning on upside down during the soak. If I do more than one soak, I may alternate.

The articles and this forum have been very helpful. I think I'm good and will give it a go soon - just a tad nervous/cautious it being my first restoration and with a 130 y.o. pan. I will post how it all went.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Last edited by BMyers; 03-10-2020 at 04:01 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-10-2020, 07:31 PM

That pan has been around for a long time and is real tough, it would take a lot to mess it up.

Put the pan in the black bag in the garage, up high.
It will take a little longer but it will get the job done.