Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > New Collector's Corner

Notices

New Collector's Corner A Friendly Forum for Those New to the Hobby. No Question Is Too Basic, So Ask Away.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:35 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: Grooved Handle Griswold

I've never seen one, nor do I know of anyone who has. There is supposedly a photo of someone holding one, but it's authenticity has been questioned.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2017, 04:57 AM

Well, that pretty much settles that. And I've had this on my wish list for awhile. At least now I can say that I have a full set in the Nos. 3-9. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:51 PM

I picked up a #4 today just like yours!
Old 11-12-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
The Blue Book lists a grooved handle in size 10. I've been told that they don't exist. Is this the case or are they just very rare? I've had two sets of the Nos. 3 to 9 and while they take a while to accumulate "in the wild", it's do-able.
The reason the blue book lists a No.10 grooved handle skillet is because I had included on in my skillet chart in the 1980s Cast Iron Cookware News I published. That is too long ago to remember all the facts but I did think that I had a full set, including the grooved handle 10, in the small TM sets. Or was I probably a bit premature in publishing that thinking that there HAD TO BE such a skillet. In the intervening years I have never seen a grooved handle 10 so it can probably be taken as fact that they were never made by Griswold for whatever reason.

As for the "names" of the different small TM handles, the early handle had the teardrop hole and was similar to the older block TM skillets. The next handle was what some sources call the "late handle" which, from the top, looked just like the grooved handle. Facts are that that handle was the "mid" handle and should have been so described. The grooved handle, c.1955, was the latest handle on small TM regular skillets and also was used on the late square skillets with the handle on the side of the pan (3103, 2106 and 2108). The "late large TM" was a trademark slightly different from the old block trademark and was used only on the No.3 regular skillet but, also, on the three square skillets I mentioned above.

What one poster mentioned above about a "late large TM" was actually a post-Griswold TM from the Wagner foundry era that did not include ERIE PA on the pan. Compare that trademark, it is not like any used by Griswold in the details.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:44 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stephens View Post
In the intervening years I have never seen a grooved handle 10 so it can probably be taken as fact that they were never made by Griswold for whatever reason.
Um...

http://www.castironcollector.com/for...newpost&t=6953
Old 11-12-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stephens View Post

As for the "names" of the different small TM handles, the early handle had the teardrop hole and was similar to the older block TM skillets. The next handle was what some sources call the "late handle" which, from the top, looked just like the grooved handle. Facts are that that handle was the "mid" handle and should have been so described. The grooved handle, c.1955, was the latest handle on small TM regular skillets and also was used on the late square skillets with the handle on the side of the pan (3103, 2106 and 2108). The "late large TM" was a trademark slightly different from the old block trademark and was used only on the No.3 regular skillet but, also, on the three square skillets I mentioned above.
I have a grooved handle on a chicken fryer with the late large logo.IMG_20181112_231604~800x600.jpg