Help with Griswold/Wagner Ware ages (and values just for fun)

SueB

Hi, I was wondering if you gurus could confirm for me the ages and give a ballpark price you'd expect to pay for two skillets I picked up at a thrift store yesterday: a Wagner Ware #6, and a Griswold #8.

All these pictures are taken of the condition I bought them in, prior to me re-seasoning the pans (which is currently in progress!).

Here are a couple shots of the Wagner Ware. It has a heat ring that is flush with the outside edge, and a "rib" along the underside of the handle. Sits flat and doesn't wobble, is very smooth for the most part but has some minor pitting inside. Surprisingly thin-walled and light for a cast iron pan, but after a bit of research I think that's normal for the older pans? My age estimate on this one was 1924-1935, judging from the logo and that it has a heat ring?

And here are a couple of the Griswold. It's a flat bottom, no heat ring, small logo in the center of the pan, only says "Erie, PA." not "Erie PA., U.S.A.". Doesn't wobble, very smooth with little pitting. The only estimate I could come up with for this one was pre-1957, maybe 1940-1957?

So what I'm mainly looking for is an estimate of age. I bought these to cook with so the market value is just a fun bit of background information for me, especially considering I got these for $2 each!

Those date ranges are both substantially correct. Earlier Wagner heat ringed pans had just the size number and a pattern letter, with catalog numbers coming into use ~ 1924. The Griswold is from the earlier part of that date range, as evidenced by the "early" handle style. I think any time you can obtain either of these in undamaged condition for under $20, you're doing OK.

Thank you Don! I was so thrilled to pick these up.

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

And by "Thank you Don", I of course meant "Thank you DOUG"! :redface:

I have a Griswold #10 much like hers. Please explain "earlier handle" for the benefit of us newbies. Thanks.

There's three handle variations on the small blocks - early, late, and late-grooved.

The early variation pictured above is distinct from the other two because the hanging hole comes to a point. On the other two, it is rounded.

Here's the late-grooved:

The late (non-grooved) is a combination of the other two, having the rounded hanging hole but lacking the channel under the handle extending to the side wall of the pan.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

For completeness-sake, the late, non-grooved handle:

The small block logo Griswold skillets were seen with three handle designs appearing to span the range of sizes. The "early" handle has the traditional teardrop shaped hanging hole. The "late" handle's hole shape is that of a tapered oval, and the "late grooved" handle has the oval hole and a groove running the length of the underside of the handle. There is a fourth style seen on one of one size #3's pattern that can be described as a cross between the early and late, but few people notice it; perhaps it was a revision being considered that made it into production in that one instance.

Took my #10 out of the lye bath. It is a small logo with the later non-grooved handle. Any estimate regarding the year it was manufactured? Also it's value?

The BB puts the small block logo between 1939 and 1957, with the late handle starting around 1944. When the grooved handle started in unclear. The authors value the early handle versions slightly higher than the late and grooved with the exception of a grooved #10, which is like the holy grail of SBL skillets at $400-500. Yours they put at $35-45.

I like to put the late (mid) handle starting at the end of WWII. It makes little sense that Griswold would be making new patterns in the middle of a major war. It might have even been late 40s. No idea how the authors came up with some of the dates they did for the books.

That is very interesting information. Since I paid $7.00 for the skillet, I am very pleased that the value is about $35-45! While I very much like cast iron, I do not see me being a serious collector at this point and thus, do not have the reference books.

Thanks for looking up the the information! I really appreciate the help!

While I very much like cast iron, I do not see me being a serious collector at this point and thus, do not have the reference books.

I think I made the same post about six months ago. Now I have the red and blue books, and go hunting almost every weekend. It sneaks up on you :)

I notice that the red and blue books focus on Wagner and Griswold. I have mostly older Lodge and BSR skillets. How could I find the values for them?

The red book has a Lodge section, giving values considered good at the time of its last printing, 2005. There is no published guide to BSR, but valuation would be similar to Lodge, older pieces being considered more valuable (if in excellent condition).

Recently sold ebay listings are a good way to get a ballpark estimate of value. I find antique stores usually run more expensive than ebay, and flea markets run cheaper.

Regarding the Griswold handles, seems as if the the "late handle" came out around 1945. Any idea when the "grooved handle" appeared?

The BB dates both the late and the grooved handle the same, 1944-1957. When the change occurred is uncertain. That they were made simultaneously is improbable. That the grooved came first and was replaced by the late due to production problems is unlikely. The #3 skillet with the medium or "late large" TM (1955-1957) has the grooved handle, also an indicator that the grooved came later.

Also new to this site; learning a lot! Following above logic, would a SBL with early style handle then date from 1939 to 1944?? Thanks!

Probably. A good guess might be that design changes probably did not take place during wartime.

Back