Hotel skillet

Bonnie Scott

I found this on ebay a couple of weeks ago. It was listed as a giant pan and I think I got a pretty good price on it because nobody else bid. I think it might be a lodge copy of the Griswold hotel skillet because it's unmarked. I haven't finished cleaning or seasoning it yet. It weighs about 24 lbs.
http://imgur.com/a/UMiar

If you're cooking a dozen eggs at a time you've got the right skillet Bonnie. I think I remember you saying you sing while cleaning your cast iron so I'm thinking this could be an all day tune just because of it's size. Better call Hover Dam when you get ready to season it so they can beef up the electrical grid a bit.
Nice piece...

Thanks Michael, instead of singing while cleaning this one I will be doing my best Crocodile Dundee impersonation or maybe Irish Mike from "Big Giant Swords". I'm going to have to make an aluminum foil tent for my oven because the door won't shut with this pan in it. :chuckle:
Jody, I was surprised no one else bid on it but I think the listing wasn't clear and the fact that the seller said no refunds, no returns scared people off.

Last edited:
Thanks Michael, instead of singing while cleaning this one I will be doing my best Crocodile Dundee impersonation or maybe Irish Mike from "Big Giant Swords". I'm going to have to make an aluminum foil tent for my oven because the door won't shut with this pan in it. :chuckle:
Jody, I was surprised no one else bid on it but I think the listing wasn't clear and the fact that the seller said no refunds, no returns scared people off.

I think I would make an outdoor type grill big enough to set it on and season it that way. Don't burn down your house with a make shift oven band aide. You just need enough heat for a short period of time to get it protected and after that just cook in it...and invite all your neighbors to participate.

I have one of these also and its been sitting for months because I haven't figured out a way t season it. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I was thinking of asking a local pizzeria if I could rent an oven during the off hours.

CJ, my oven, which is 15”s deep, would hold one of these pans if I removed all racks and put it in at a 45° angle. Yours may not.

I like the pizzeria idea best. Take it in about 10:00 am oven ready. Talk to the guy that starts the ovens in the morning, explain your problem and ask him if he could throw this in for an hour or two during warmup the next day while waving a $20 bill. Hopefully one thin coat of lard at 475 or 500° F will do it. If not, a second baking should work after cool down. Remember every new coat of lard or oil makes it the first bake. I only do one fairly heavy coat of lard and bake twice with good results.

If it works out great I’d be tempted to give him $50 or $75, tell him to fill it with lasagna and that you will pick it up at 6:30 PM. Then I would start calling people to invite them for dinner …. oh yea; and bring a salad or desert.

Hilditch

Maybe I'm wrong, but that looks like it would fit inside a Weber Kettle. Assuming you don't own one, surely someone you know does. Seasoning it shouldn't cost more than a six pack and a bag of charcoal.

Ty, my estimate with the handles was 24", so I ruled out my 22" Weber. The Weber was my first thought. However, a Weber might work with a wrapping of aluminum foil to cover the handles and the gap with the top on.

Hilditch

Last edited:
I have a "banjo" style burner that panic yours would sit nicely on. I have my 15 1/4 in camp skillet lives on. I set up an old washing machine tub to take care of some of my iron with an put one of those campers racks (with the folding legs)on top for a typical pan but yours is big enough you wouldn't need that little rack on top. Just have some welders gloves handy when you move it, that buggers gonna be HOT HOT HOT

Romunda

Sent from my RCT6272W23 using Tapatalk

I think I just got the grandchild of your pan. Lodge must have decided that after years of producing the unmarked one it was safe to put the labels on it. Mine is the exact same size and weight as yours, but it has 20 at 12 oclock, sk right under that, and then an s at 6 oclock.

Bonnie, I love the cast iron stove you have the pan sitting on! Does it stay outside? How do you keep it from rusting?

MEValery, I would like to see a picture of the bottom of your pan when you get a chance.
Spurgeon, I live in Arizona so it doesn't rain and snow much, when it does I throw a tarp over it. I also brushed it down with a stainless steel brush and painted it with stove black when I bought it so that helps protect it too.

Last edited:
I forgot to say that it also has Made in USA in the middle.
Its been in the lye bucket for 2 days. I should have a better picture in a day or two. It is a monster. I had to add more water to my tub just to cover it.
I was able to fit it in my oven. I put the handles at the corners of the oven and put 2 small cast iron pans under one edge so it leans against the back wall. It was the only way that I could close the door.

Looks great! I thought it looked good when you got it, but the Made in USA stamp wasn't there in the original picture. Makes me realize I need to make a lye bath.

Back