Wagner Waffle Iron Restoration

Jeffrey R.

Trying to finnish this Wagner #8 Waffle iron set. I am thinking that the base was not Japanned, and was just left gray iron. Also what would be the best way to season the paddles without removing the handles? Also on the cast near the handles are the letter J on one paddle and the letter H on the other. Question is what do the letters stand for?

The base is in the E-tank for rust removal.

If you refer to the Wagner ads at http://www.castironcollector.com/ads.php you will see that catalogs stated "japanned frame". The handles appear to be still in good enough condition (might be replacements) to unscrew without damage. Otherwise just use insulated clamps or the like to hold them above the water line for lye or electro cleaning; heat for seasoning over a stove burner. The letters are just pattern identifiers.

Thank you Doug,
I looked in both the BB & RB, never noted anything about being Japanned or not.
When I striped off the old black crust, there was no sign that is had been Japanned, and or cleaned. Do you think that the earlier waffle iron bases might not have been Japanned?

The lady that I purchased it from, said that it had been in her family for many many years, and saw very light use at their summer camp for the last 15 years.

As old as it is, anything could have been done to the original finish on the base: burned off, worn off, stripped off.

Your handles look to be in great shape. Honestly, I unscrewed mine from the paddles and just did what I had to. They went back on nice and tight after I was all done, easy peasy. Mine looked to be quite old. Still nice and tight, used monthly.

Ready for some waffle batter.

The waffle irons are seasoned, and the base has 3 coats of high heat paint.

2 ways that the handles are attached.
I have a Wagner #7 waffle iron with the same wooden handle as this #8 set. The handle on the #7 has a long screw that goes through the length on the handle and screws into the cast iron.

The #8 shown here has a wood thread stud that was installed in the sand mold before they poured the cast iron. The wooden handle is then screwed onto the stud.

I see that the high base is not marked Wagner. Was this common?

wagner%252Cwaffle_0607.jpg

wagner%252Cwaffle_0606.jpg

Back