Cast Iron Diamond, what is it?

TeresaM

Does anyone know what this is? I found it at Goodwill, amongst other vintage kitchen gadgets like a metal cake decorator canister and a "krisk" bean slicer/stringer. Its pretty small, no more than 4 inches in length, and the diamond is like a kite, with the top part of the diamond slightly shorter than the bottom half. It has short feet on it. In doing research online I haven't found anything like it, and wondered if anyone could identify it for me. I appreciate any help.

Attachments

• 20160926_120351.jpg
    20160926_120351.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 43
  • 20160926_120342.jpg
    20160926_120342.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 47
Yes, I thought it might be one of those, but I was hoping someone could give me more specifics about it. It is so small it seems like it wouldn't be very effective as a trivet or sadiron rest.

I'd guess a sad iron rest that went on a CI stove to heat the iron. The feet would face up to keep the iron clean and the back of the iron would sit on the short angle. If one put a sad iron directly on a stovetop it would get very greasy and dirty so this would solve the issue. Most sad irons were only 6 or 7" long.

Hilditch

Iron is a poor conductor. To be heated to temp as efficiently as possible, the sad iron would need to be in direct, flush contact with a hot iron surface or positioned over the direct heat of an open stove eye. Below left is the most common implement used, a dedicated sad iron heater, made to be placed across two eyes with a bridge piece removed or on the stove top if the bottom was completely flat and capable of making good overall contact. Griswold also made a device (middle) to hold three irons simultaneously over an open eye. Sad iron stands (right) existed, but to keep the hot iron clean or off of damageable surfaces during use or as a safe place to cool. This item may or may not have been one of the latter, albeit a not very ornamental one. Without any maker markings, knowing for certain what it is and who made it is likely impossible.

Attachments

• sad1.jpg
    sad1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 23
  • sad2.jpg
    sad2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 29
  • stand3.jpg
    stand3.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 25
Doug,
Do you know of any other pictures of that middle sad iron heater? I passed on this heater recently because it did not match the one in the BB p175 and I was not spending $100. The one on p175 has teeth that are triangular shaped. The picture you showed and the one I saw had the skinny rectangular teeth. I could not find a picture or description until you posted it.
Thanks,
Mark

That's a problem with old catalogs: illustrations, not photos. So we don't know if there are variations or if it's just the artist. If genuine Griswold, there should have been a pattern number on it. There are others seen similar, but with a different positioning lug design, so the overall concept was apparently not exclusive to Griswold.

Back