Stubborn Carbon

TyHiggins

I'm starting to prefer the thick rough buildup, it usually comes off better in the electrolysis. It's when it's a hard shiny smooth layer, almost like a plated skillet, that I curse it. I got the Griswold #9 LL scrubbed good after 2 days in the tank, and around the inner walls at the top were those stubborn splotches. I took steel wool to it til they were about as smooth as the surrounding metal, experience has taught me further electrolysis will do little good and since it'll be my new user I'll live with it. (I feel a complete traitor to my Wapak #9, I scarcely knew you yet you were my go-to skillet.)

Ty,
Don't be afraid to use some Wet or Dry sandpaper on it. I have used grits as low as 120 and no visible scratches remained after seasoning.

Good luck.

Jack

I'll have to put it on the back burner for now, with the pile I've accumulated waiting for treatment. I've converted my shed to a small store, once it's fully stocked I plan to dump inventory and retire. Last time I did that it contributed substantially to my last year of house payments.

Back