• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

CI Chicken pot pie? Yes please.

Bonnie Scott

I just stumbled onto this recipe and can't wait to try it.

http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/c...-pot-pie/cf470c09-6784-4307-8f36-186f2ee67b7a

Cast-Iron Skillet Chicken Pot Pie

4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon freshly chopped sage
2 cups kale, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock
1 (11 oz) bag Green Giant Nature's Blend Veggie Steamers
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 1/2 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
1 Pillsbury 9-inch refrigerated pie crust
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 pinches coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Heat the oil in an 8-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they start to brown, about 4 minutes.
Add the garlic and sage and bloom for 30 seconds.
Add the kale and sauté until wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Add the flour and continue to sauté another 2 minutes, until the kale is coated.
Add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, until slightly thickened. Stir in the Green Giant veggies and peas.
Add the chicken and simmer for about 5 minutes, until it's nice and thick. Season well with salt and pepper.
Unroll the pie crust and lay it over the cast iron. You may pinch the edges if you choose, or leave them be.
Slide into the oven for 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Reduce heat to 375 and cook another 15 minutes, or until the crust is a deep golden brown.
Let rest 20 minutes before cutting into the pie. Serve immediately!

Re: C I Chicken pot pie? Yes please.

Crazy how fun CI can be. I bet that tastes fantastic. Reminds me of the person who made fudge brownies in some #3s here recently.

You can't have this kinda fun with stainless!

I saw those CI brownies and they looked delicious. I found a recipe for a salted caramel sauce that I believe I would have to add to the top along with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I figure if I am going to get that decadent I might as well go all the way. :-D

That sounds good! I find myself asking whether or not a recipe I usually make can be made in CI and if so I just go ahead and try it. I made "easy" chicken pot pie last night that's topped with biscuits instead of crust, it was awesome. It's nice not to have to transfer to a baking dish first. :)

I'm at work and you guys have to stop this talk!!!! I'm starving!

That sound good Aforbes. I would be tempted to replace the pie crust with a homemade bisquick I keep on hand. I am kind of a "run what you brung" girl and most likely wouldn't have kale in my refrigerator either. It would seem to me you could do the same thing with a hearty beef stew as well. Sorry TedW :glutton:

Back