Cooking with a Hinged-double Skillet???

Andy_P

My first post. Hello all! Glad to be here. I've been around cast iron cookware my whole life (grew up in central Illinois, now in California) and saw cast iron skillets and Dutch ovens being used by my mom and grandma as their prime (even "exclusive", for many years) stove top cookware. I've just discovered my love for it and started picking up a few pieces for home and camping. In my "studies", I came across hinged, double skillets. What was the idea behind these? Were they just a "value-added" Dutch oven? What kinds of things would they or would I use a hinged skillet for? Anyone here cook in them? I don't have one, never seen one in person, don't know of anyone who ever had one, but I think I need one! Lol. :D

Double skillets, hinged or not, simply allow for a lid to double as a second skillet. "Hinged" is a bit of a misnomer. It's more just a tab and slot to allow the skillet/lid (while being used as a lid) to be "parked" temporarily while dealing with the bottom skillet contents. Instant Pot has, perhaps unknowingly, copied the feature on its pressure cooker lids.

Thanks. It is pretty obvious how they join and that one is a lid to the other. That's not the discussion I was looking for. Why would one want to cook in a "double skillet" over a skillet with a lid? Do they fit as tightly and seal as a skillet with a lid would, or do they leak to the outside where it runs down the outside of the bottom skillet to burn on the sides and bottom of the bottom skillet? Does anyone use this to cook in? Or, as I suggested, was this just a "value added" Dutch oven where you can use it to roast and have two skillets at the same time?

One would not necessarily "want to cook in a double skillet over a skillet with a lid". One may, however, decide to purchase a double skillet, instead of a skillet and a lid, for the added convenience of its lid also functioning as a separate skillet. Just as skillet lids have a rim around the circumference, so do the double skillet lids. It would be rather unwieldy, not to mention dangerous, if they didn't. It would probably be helpful to have seen one before, as you have indicated you have not. Pictures being worth 1000 words, as they say.

My brother uses one mostly because it takes up less space. It is a skillet, a chicken fryer with a lid, and a dutch oven all in one. He leaves it on his stove and uses it often to cook most of a meal with. He will do chicken in the fryer and veggies on the skillet, when the veggies are done put the "lid" on the chicken and put it in the oven to finish it. Stuff like that.
It is also nice to take camping in you are trying to cut down on pieces, but the size does limit you to cooking for one or two people.
Kyle

Andy, I bought a 10" Lodge Combo cooker a few months back I have found it to be a very hand piece of cookware that I can use several different ways. It has pretty much replaced my other CI cookware and the lid / griddle now lives on my stove top. I still use my 8" skillet to bake bread in, but my 12" seldom sees any action now.

I have a Lodge Combo Cooker, a newer one....I use it for a sloppy Joe tater tot bake that I make. Its good for a LOT of dishes.

Back