My Finds from March

Jeff S.

Since I get most of my iron at auctions my buying slows down during the winter because there are not as many sales in my area Dec - Feb. Things are starting to pick up now though. Here is most of what I bought in March.

The Griswolds
https://m.imgur.com/a/4g2z3

Blue enameled Favorite and unknown #10 skillet. Unmarked deep Favorite, unmarked deep Wagner (already have correct lid), Wagner deep 1088, #8 Lodge and Griswold single burner stove.
https://m.imgur.com/a/2VyGv

The Griswold's Erie #9 and probably the stove will be the only keepers of the bunch to go in my collection.

Isn't the 'unknown 10'... a smooth bottom red mountain BSR?

I'm have no idea but I had another #10 just like it last year. I don't collect any BSR, just buy and resell them, so I don't know all the minor differences associated with them.

I'm have no idea but I had another #10 just like it last year. I don't collect any BSR, just buy and resell them, so I don't know all the minor differences associated with them.

from the 'unmarked' page:
1930s-Early 1950s "Red Mountain" series
- ¾" high size number, sometimes underlined, typically followed by pattern letter(s) or dots in various positions at 6 o'clock

also, that handle is bsr.

I do not believe the #10 is BSR.

The handle certainly looks BSR, but that's not 100% definitive. In my time studying this forum I'm run across more than one occasion where an item was posted with a handle that looked BSR to me but it turned out to be something else.

Main reason I don't think it's BSR, though, is the smooth bottom. Every #10 BSR I've seen or heard of has a heat ring. The only comparable smooth bottom pieces were the chicken fryers which, along with higher sides, only came in sizes 7 & 8.

More subjectively, though the markings appear consistent with pre-automation BSR, to me the font looks different than what I'm used to. Then the shape looks a little off, specifically the edges around the bottom seem too sharp, IMO.

I don't know what it is but I think it's something other than BSR.

Back