Can you tell the difference in Rust and Fire Damage?

Linn Stevens

When relying purely on a photograph before investing 2 or 3 hundred dollars in a vintage skillet are you all able to easily discern between common rust and actual fire damage? Here is a great example of the type of photo that always leaves me confused. Is there a rule of thumb to go by in telling the difference? Thank you!

vpzu4i.jpg

Camera flash and artificial light sources can often play tricks on cast iron appearance. On this particular piece, I can see hints of that dusty, rosy pink color in some spots that would raise an alert, but, taking the overall appearance into consideration, my gut says it's not fire damaged. I would ask for more photos, taken outside in natural light, without flash.

Camera flash and artificial light sources can often play tricks on cast iron appearance. On this particular piece, I can see hints of that dusty, rosy pink color in some spots that would raise an alert, but, taking the overall appearance into consideration, my gut says it's not fire damaged. I would ask for more photos, taken outside in natural light, without flash.

Is it warped, pitted on the surface? Cracks on the hanging griddles occur around the suspension points. Slight but there.

Back