Help with a Griswold Safety Kettle #8 863

Keith Kamikawa

Hey gang my buddy found this Griswold Sefety Kettle #8 863 while we were looking in an antique shop's basement. It was unique so he picked it up.

Image Image

With help from the Griswold Facebook group I'm part of they helped me ID it.

The question has come up now though is, is the lid original. According to the book image it came with a tin lid, and although not stated, it looks to be enameled. This came with an enameled tin lid and appears to be the same lid material as the one in the book. The obvious differences are the lid handle and pour door on the lid pictured in the book are not on the kettle lid we found. Is it possible this kettle we found came with a different original lid? The lid does fit flush to the top and directly under the two notches that hold the lid in place, like the one pictured in the book, and seems like it was made for the pot. The bevel/extrusion of the lid is a bit different as well as the pic posted. I'd venture to say this is original or factory replacement, unless someone crafted one to fit exactly like the original or found a lid lying around that fit.

There are no makers marks on the lid. Any help confirming if this is the kettle's original lid or not would be a big help. Also advice on how to fire this kettle after it is stripped as not to damage the wood handles would be a great help! Thanks so much!!

PS I have plenty more pics as well if need be!

Pretty sure the lid pour hatch was a necessary part of the whole safety kettle mode of operation. That or perforations on one side of the lid.

Pretty sure the lid pour hatch was a necessary part of the whole safety kettle mode of operation. That or perforations on one side of the lid.

That'd make sense, can't really "safely' pour out of it if there's no door. Any other Gris kettles have lids that this one could be from if it isn't the original for this particular kettle? The shape just seems too "right on" to not be at least part of some sort of line.

Tin lids were sold for, but not necessarily included with, Scotch or Yankee bowls.

Back