Rome - Griswold #12

All the same skillet; it has two gate marks.

I like this part:

AS YOU CAN SEE THAT THE MOLD BACK THEN ARE NOT AS DEFINED AS THEY WHERE IN LATER YEARS.

Looks like a recast to me. The Griswold markings are not clear and sharp. The bottom has rough castings not close to the quality I would expect from Griswold. I think you have a recast that used a Griswold as a patern. David.

I see it now. Originally I didn't see that the skillet is upside down in one photo and that what I thought was a small assist handle is actually a trunkated view of the full handle.

Thanks, Doug.

Having seen a version of this skillet without gatemarks, I would venture a guess that it's actually a recast of an Eagle skillet.

I have one of those...

IMG-3273,large.1404973291.JPG

They're actually a listing for it on page 23 of the Blue Book. And a listed value of $200-$250.

I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was nowhere near that kind of money.

The one shown in the BB doesn't have a gate mark, either. I wonder if the $250 valuation prompted the production of the gatemarked recasts?

The one shown in the BB doesn't have a gate mark, either. I wonder if the $250 valuation prompted the production of the gatemarked recasts?

If I was going to spend the time/energy to re-cast something, it certainly wouldn't be a copy of something else. I'd copy the original.

Possibly, Eagle Stove got better at casting at some point and started using different methods.

I'd be inclined to buy this if it weren't for the amazingly high price. I really like the odd iron, and find even re-casts' fascinating.

BTW: Mine also has different markings on the handle. (HOUSTON)
IMG-3274,medium_large.1404973272.JPG

Back