Rust, Pitting, Regret, Guilt, Halloween Candy!!?

RickC

I have a feeling that this one is going to be the one that gets a coat of primer and a coat of flat black paint.

Started stripping black paint off of a No. 4 Griswold Yankee bowl last night. On the way home tonight I stopped at a thrift store and found a large bulged kettle, maker unknown (Although it does have Griswold bail ears). This thing was rough. Priced at $19.96?!. On a 50% off day. So $10+. Whatever.....

Bring it home, vinegar, drill with wire wheel, nothing can touch this rust. I think this will forever be the one that gets a coat of black paint and put on my desk at work loaded with Halloween candy. So tonight's work: Taking the paint off of one, and possibly putting paint on another.

Image Image

Image Image

"ERIE", Griswold ?????? It has the look, but it's so damaged that I can't tell. Anyone else use those Griswold bail ears?
Also, am I the only one here who feels that I need to save every piece I find, no matter how rough? Like I'm on a mission to save old iron.

Last edited:
Possibly, the very bottom seems very thin, I'm almost thinking that if I take any more away from it, there might be nothing left. Worst case I patch the new hole in the bottom, and still paint it... :(

I know someone will be offended, but to each his own. I had an old gatemarked, unmarked no.8 bean pot that had a rust hole in the bottom. I drilled several holes in the bottom and made a grate that fit the top and use it to grill small meals. Two steaks, sausages, two burgers, whatever. 10 to 12 coals and I have a meal ready. I would never deface a working pot. I have no problem repurposing a damaged item.

Bryan, better a working/useful grill than a ruined/useless pot. Unless of course it's worth a great deal as the ruined/useless pot.

We've all seen, or heard stories about, antiques that have been ruined by someone trying to repair them or repurpose them. One very good local example that comes to mind is the Jefferson Peace Medal (the one handed out by Lewis and Clark to various Indian chiefs on their journey west) in the Idaho State Historical Museum in Boise. It's been damaged but any attempt to "repair" it would be disasterous.

Unless of course it's worth a great deal as the ruined/useless pot.

Well, I've discovered the truth on this one. I could see the "8" under the rust, but couldn't see any makers mark. Vinegar soaked it last night, wire brushed it this afternoon, and I can see the faintest "ERIE" arc logo.

So, No. 8 ERIE Bulge Kettle. (Page 75 in the BB)
Pretty good for $10, no matter how it ends up being used.

Back