Help with new (old) Range

AndyDane

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place (or even the right forum!) but google searches aren't proving too productive when looking up info for this, and this seems like as good a place to ask as any!

I've just installed a cast iron range cooker, it's a Larbert "The Range" 41104 and I'm trying to find some info on it, age etc, as well as any tips for using it effectively.

The ash box was burned through, so I've had it remade in 4mm carbon steel, which is bolted onto the original cast iron front.

But I have no idea of the age or anything of it. If anyone can help, or point me in the right direction, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Andy

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

232b373a56fa04e4007642d5a41e47f0.jpg

Although the focus here is primarily American made cast iron cookware, old woodstoves are of interest to many. I do note, however, that a quick Google of "larbert stove" returns a personal photo album of photos of your same stove described as a Larbert Portable Stove. From it, I also note yours is missing a piece on the lower right opening. Other results indicate the same model number had an earlier design variation. A Google books result has an old trade journal showing the same earlier model made by Dobbie, Forbes, & Co. Ltd. of Larbert in the late 1800s.

I figured that although the primary focus of this forum was cookware, there might be someone who knew something about the ranges as well. I was quite surprised at just how hard it was to find a forum even remotely related!

I found the same blog online, so I've dropped the restorers a note as well to see if they have any more info.

It looks like there were lots of different variations, all with patent number 41104, I'm just curious to try and track down an actual age for the one I've picked up.

The bit that's missing in the picture is the ash box, It was at the sheet metal company when I took that photo, so now back in place. Some variations look like they had an adjustable choke built into the ashbox to control the air flow from underneath the coals. but mine doesn't have this.

All in working order though, had it fired up last night once I got the register plate in place :)

Back