Newbie with a few questions

JaredS

Hey guys, thanks in advance for any help with these questions! Today in an antique store I came across an Erie Dutch oven (I think it was a number 6), no lid. The seller wanted $55 for it. Does this seem like a good deal, assuming the oven is in good shape?

Secondly, in a junk store I found several flat bottomed #5 skillets that looked unmarked (can't really tell till cleaned). The 5 on the handle looked Wagnerish, as do the skillets themselves. The handle had a "N" incised in it on the bottom right on the flat plane just before meeting the bottom of the pan. I think they are unmarked Wagner. Would $8-9 be too much to give for one of these?

Third, I found a Griswold slant epu #7 with heat ring in ok shape for $20. There was a slight warp to the pan (not enough to make it a "spinner", but definitely noticeable). Unfortunately, when I got enough of the gunk off the sidewalls I discovered a hairline crack opposite the handle end that extends about halfway from the lip to the bottom of the pan. If I sell the pan should I be able to recoup the money I put into it or should I hold on to it as an example of bad luck of the draw?

Finally, I picked up a BSR red mountain #8 skillet with matching red mountain lid in junkyard for $7. They are in perfect condition after restoration, with no pitting, cracking, warping, etc. I wasn't able to find anything quite like them on ebay, and am considering selling them. What would be a reasonable amount to expect from such a sell?

Again, thanks in advance for your help with these questions!

$55 would be a bargain for a complete Erie DO, but it's hard to justify paying very much for the one piece in the hope that you'll one day find the missing counterpart, only to end up paying more for your wait and trouble.

If indeed unmarked Wagner and in good condition, $8-9 is more than OK for a #5 if they are from the polish grinding era.

You might be lucky to find someone who wants your cracked pan for what you paid for it. I'm still trying to figure out the eBay sellers offering admittedly cracked pans for more than I think they're worth undamaged.

If the BSR is the earlier RM with the large pour spouts and the lid is from the same period, I'd say $35-40, maybe more if in excellent condition.

And I also concur, photos are a big help in offering meaningful advice.

I'm still trying to figure out the eBay sellers offering admittedly cracked pans for more than I think they're worth undamaged.

Me too.. My problem is that when they ship they're not cracked, but arrive cracked.

So, OP got a warped, cracked pan. IF you sell it, tons of photos and don't try to sugar coat the description. Personally, I wouldn't buy a knowingly cracked pan, but I'm sure people do. Well, let me take that back, if it was something super ultra rare, and the price was dirt cheap, I might, just for fun.

Like say an old Griswold spider logo skillet. I would film this.. I'd show the skillet on camera, avoid showing the crack, take it out to the range, prop it up and put a couple slugs through it. Then upload the video to YouTube and watch all of the hate filled comments roll in. Or maybe not.

I've got a small, but ever growing pile of cracked pans if your interested. :tongue:

The BSR, whether termed a late Red Mountain or an early Century, is definitely of the post-automation period. Good user, but not so much a collectible. Shame about that Griswold.

Yeah, it was a major letdown finding the crack. The rest of the skillet is in such good shape and there was no indication of the crack before cleaning. Oh well, live and learn. Lesson: don't take a chance on a slightly warped thin pan if you can't see cracks because of too much crusty seasoning.

As for the BSR, I only know how to tell the difference between Red Mountain and Century series. How can you date the earlier BSR Red mountain pans?

Thanks again, and I'll post picks of the other stuff tomorrow.

Best guess on your unmarkeds would be Wagner. Maybe copies using a Wagner pan for a pattern if they exhibit sub-standard casting artifacts.

The Erie DO, if it were me, I might have to give it some thought. I have a lid that's a close period match, early handle and shape like Erie, but with the slant TM added. The match for yours would just have the 2551 p/n

Back