• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Nancy F

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

3/4 cup butter

2 cups brown sugar

1 (20 ounce) can sliced pineapple - (Drain and save the juice for the cake mix
and use instead of water)
10 maraschino cherries or more

1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix ( I use butter pecan or spice cake mix)

Melt the butter in the cast iron skillet. Remove from the heat and sprinkle the brown sugar evenly to cover the butter. Arrange pineapple rings around the bottom of the pan, one layer deep. Place a maraschino cherry into the center of each pineapple ring or wherever you want.

Prepare the cake mix as directed by the manufacturer, substitute some of the pineapple juice for some of the liquid in the directions. Pour the batter over the pineapple layer.

Bake as directed by the cake mix directions. Cool for 10 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a plate. Do not let the cake cool too much or it will be stuck to the pan.

Love your little guy eating.

It's so easy to make and so good too. I didn't get to make mine today but will in the morning.

Comment: Tried this recently (with a white cake mix) and it was very good...only I didn't pay proper attention to other comments in the forum about making this cake in a #9 or 10 skillet, and tried to use my Sidney 8. Oops! :redface: It was kind of messy, but still good. (The Sidney is pretty deep for a regular skillet, but this still overflowed it in a couple places--oven needed cleaning anyway.) Probably will try to make the cake again, but I won't pack down the sugar (as is usually done with brown when you measure it) and will definitely use my Erie 9 or Favorite 10. Basically, this is a quick and easy delicious cake--just use a big skillet!

I guess I should have said to use at least a #8 or 10". I use my chicken fryer. YUM! So sorry about your oven. Hope it cleans easily.

Back