Ready to make some pizza

W. Hilditch

The new homeowner has their kitchen set up pretty well, including a #12 CI skillet. He/she or whatever wants to have a home made pizza party next weekend for 10 or 12 people and is not into deep dish pizza, frozen or delivery. Money is not a big concern. What should he/she buy to cook pizza in or on for the party and why? Later personal use is to be considered and CI is not a requirement.

Hilditch

Pizza stone in the oven or grill works great for any kind but really good for thin /crispy crust. Tell them about corn meal which makes the pie slide.

I start the crust on a oven pan then put on the stuff. Transfer to the grill/smoker which is about 450 degrees and the pizza stone has heated to temp for awhile. Close lid and stay close. They cook fast

I second the pizza stone. LOVE mine for use in the oven, never considered trying it on the grill.

Think it'd be possible, but tough, to make a thin crust pizza in CI. I've only done one in CI, which was a thick crust, but I wasn't trying for thin.

Steve

Thanks for the feedback.

OK. I recommended a 1/2 or 3/4 baking sheet if it would fit in their oven and two Pampered Chef round 13” stones. I also suggested the largest rectangular stone that would fit in their oven for future use. A sheet or a stone can sit on a stone.

For 12 folks a thick crust baking sheet pizza and one 12” would get everybody started and a follow up of two 12” would feed all baking two at a time.

Mark, I passed along the corn meal ball bearing hint. I don’t pre-start my dough even when thick, but I cook at 450° on preheated stones for 11 minutes and 11 seconds. It tales a bit longer for a supreme.

Interesting that no cast iron griddles or skillets were suggested.

Hilditch

Old gate marked round griddles are great for pizza! I've got a 14 inch, it's pitted and warped but that makes no difference for pizza. 14, 15, and 16 inch versions are easy to grab off of ebay and tend to run no more than $60 or so. Even giant Griswold griddles can be had in the neighborhood of $75. All are great for baking. Indeed, unless you have a wood stove they are pretty much only good for baking since you can never heat on evenly on a modern stove top.

Back