Tips for scrambled eggs?

ChadVKealey

The only way my wife eats eggs is scrambled or omeleted. I typically use a very slippery restaurant-grade teflon pan, but as I'm making a concerted effort to use my small cast iron collection more effectively, I'd like to learn how to achieve similar results.

I've tried to make scrambled eggs in two of my skillets: one a 90s vintage (Chinese-made) Wagner and the other the "lid" of a Lodge 3 quart combo cooker. Both have a fairly "textured" surface, so maybe scrambling eggs is just not going to be an option. I usually put a fair amount (a tablespoon) of butter and a little olive oil so there's a veritable pool of fat there; I also pre-heat it well. Invariably, the eggs end up sticking and I've got to simmer water in the pan to get it really clean afterward.

I know it's perfectly safe to use a metal spatula in cast iron, but the noise is a bit grating. I've tried with a silicon spatula (what I usually use in the teflon pan) and a flatish bamboo spoon/spatula hybrid, and neither adequately scrapes the cooked egg from the bottom.

I have two old skillets, a Piqua Ware and a Maid of Honor, which have much smoother bottoms than either of the modern pans, but have some crusting on the sides that I really need to get around to stripping. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and do that, they would be better for scrambling/omeleting?

With scrambled eggs, if they're done in the skillet, they'll be overdone on the plate. Starting out hot to "set" the eggs then lowering the heat to finish until almost done is the preferred method. Residual heat after removing from the pan does the rest.

The slow reaction time of that heavier modern cast iron to changes in temp is going to be your problem. You'll turn it down but it will stay hotter than you want. You may want to try starting out with it pre-heated to a solid med-high and then just turning the burner off altogether to continue as long as needed.

+1 to what Doug said. I am also using a modern skillet (lodge chef skillet) for eggs. I think it's just trial and error with your stovetop - on mine I heat the skillet on a setting of just below medium and then turn the heat down part way through cooking.

I have also experimented with silicon and found that it works well. I am currently using the Starpack spatula and like it (much less grating during cooking). I agree that silicon does not do a good job of scraping, so in the event I do get some sticking (which is becoming less frequent as I get used to my stove and iron) I use the lodge plastic scrapers to clean. They work great.

You're certainly using enough oil. I would suggest using one of your older skillets. Rough, pebbly, crater-like newer cast iron would be my last resort. Eggs, scrambled or otherwise, do not stick in any of my older, smoother CI. If you're still having trouble with scrambled eggs sticking after trying your older CI, you might want to change your cooking technique or try some hard anodized aluminum as it is pretty doggone non stick. Suggesting hard anodized aluminum may be considered heresy, but it is pretty decent cookware in my opinion.

Scrambled eggs and omelets are a challenge in cast iron. A well seasoned skillet is the best best place to start. After that finding the right tools and technique come from experience, so don’t give up. Doug talked about one way to help and I could add to it, but you need to develop your own.

There are many, many variables involved. Too many for an all-comers solution. My technique for 1 or 2 eggs is keeping the skillet on simmer (gas), using the sides and tines of a two pronged plastic fork and keeping the eggs moving so they don’t sit long enough to crust or stick in a well seasoned skillet. This would not work for a dozen eggs.

Just keep playing and you will find the way that works for you.

Hilditch

Slow warming up of the pan has been mentioned before but with eggs even slower has worked for me. Once cast iron has gone up it takes along time for it to cool so very very slow in a seasoned pan helps get a couple of eggs done just right. Country eggs along with a little oil. Local grits cooked right. Bacon sometimes hits it but good link is hard to beat.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Scrambled eggs and omelets are a challenge in cast iron. A well seasoned skillet is the best best place to start. After that finding the right tools and technique come from experience, so don’t give up. Doug talked about one way to help and I could add to it, but you need to develop your own.

There are many, many variables involved. Too many for an all-comers solution. My technique for 1 or 2 eggs is keeping the skillet on simmer (gas), using the sides and tines of a two pronged plastic fork and keeping the eggs moving so they don’t sit long enough to crust or stick in a well seasoned skillet. This would not work for a dozen eggs.

Just keep playing and you will find the way that works for you.

Hilditch

Cooking eggs is a full course in all cooking schools both here and abroad. The above has many good tips.

With scrambled eggs, if they're done in the skillet, they'll be overdone on the plate.

That's not a problem for my wife. She likes them cooked until they're practically dehydrated.

Thanks for all the tips. We "upgraded" to a glass-top range last Summer and I'm still getting a feel for the controls. Some burners seem to heat faster than others. I'll have to try with the older pans, too.

Its been a personal mission of mine to master "The Omelet". There are many variables that are different in every kitchen, so I won't tell you to put your burner setting on 2 and cook for 5 minutes.
Here is some high points that works for me.
#1 Beat your eggs in a bowl not the pan.
#2 Start with a very warm/hot CI pan.
#3 Bacon Grease, about a tablespoon, most will be left in the pan. So don't worry about having a heart attack, That comes later.
#4 Shut off the gas, pick up the pan and keep them suckers moving. Not with a spatula.
#5 When about 75% done, flip them.
#6 When eggs are 90% done, add your toppings/fillings, and fold in half.
#7 When done eating, Wipe you pan with a paper towel. Nothing sticks.

I've been working on flipping a 4 egg omelet without a spatula. I've done it once but nobody saw me.
Hope this helps! Tony

That's not a problem for my wife. She likes them cooked until they're practically dehydrated.

Thanks for all the tips. We "upgraded" to a glass-top range last Summer and I'm still getting a feel for the controls. Some burners seem to heat faster than others. I'll have to try with the older pans, too.

Hi Chad, we also "upgraded" to a glass-top (wife had to have it). I have found on ours that we have to turn the burner on high for a few min. to get it started heating and then turn down to cooking level. It has taken some time to get use to it.
For eggs I have always started with a med. to hot pan and with scrambled I keep them moving and lift the pan off the burner as they reach desired consistency.
For omelet I again start with a hot pan and then reduce heat to low after pouring eggs in. We have a No. 5 BSR that is our go to for eggs. It is well seasoned, smooth as glass and never leaves the stove top. After cooking we just wipe it out with a paper towel and set it back on the stove. As for the stove it self. I would rather cook on my wood stove in the farm cabin, not this "modern improvement".:chuckle:

Ive never heard someone use the term "upgraded" when talking about an electric stove :p My guess is seasoning. The fact that you basically boil water in it to get it clean is removing any chance for seasoning to build up. Give it a few rounds of seasoning in the oven. Cook some bacon in it, Try again :)

Ive never heard someone use the term "upgraded" when talking about an electric stove :p My guess is seasoning. The fact that you basically boil water in it to get it clean is removing any chance for seasoning to build up. Give it a few rounds of seasoning in the oven. Cook some bacon in it, Try again :)

Yea, believe me Justin, in my post "upgraded" was pure sarcastic. The wife thought she had to have it and I do have the wood stove at my farm cabin so I gave in.:D

Yea, believe me Justin, in my post "upgraded" was pure sarcastic. The wife thought she had to have it and I do have the wood stove at my farm cabin so I gave in.:D

My most recent house had an electric stove with no gas line. Installing a new gas line become a top priority....

Hi Chad, we also "upgraded" to a glass-top (wife had to have it). I have found on ours that we have to turn the burner on high for a few min. to get it started heating and then turn down to cooking level. It has taken some time to get use to it.
For eggs I have always started with a med. to hot pan and with scrambled I keep them moving and lift the pan off the burner as they reach desired consistency.
For omelet I again start with a hot pan and then reduce heat to low after pouring eggs in. We have a No. 5 BSR that is our go to for eggs. It is well seasoned, smooth as glass and never leaves the stove top. After cooking we just wipe it out with a paper towel and set it back on the stove. As for the stove it self. I would rather cook on my wood stove in the farm cabin, not this "modern improvement".:chuckle:

Thanks for the tip. I've noticed the same thing with our cooktop. When I make popcorn (using Alton Brown's "big stainless bowl" method), I've got to crank it to high for the first minute or two then turn it down to medium after the kernels start popping. If I just set it to medium, it takes a good 5 minutes to start popping, by which point my arm's about to fall off from shaking the bowl around.

However, I'll admit this stove is an improvement over our previous electric (autumn gold, coiled-element style) range. Unfortunately, we don't have the option of gas in our neighborhood, and a propane conversion isn't in the budget.

Hello I will introduce myself in the introduction area.
I also use a #5 BSR. I sauté my veggies in olive oil then add cooked meat, then add the beaten eggs and top with some cheese. But I no longer fold mine. I transfer from the stove top to my preheated toaster oven. It cooks the top side along with finishing the bottom. I did one this morning and inverted it onto a plate and it popped right out. That's my weekend deal. I guess the proper name for it is a frittata? On work days I do my fried egg in the same skillet with one of those round rings that makes it fit into a English muffin (but I rather use the mini bagels from Sam's Club.):grin: I do the Canadian bacon because it's healthier. But don't get me wrong weekends I cheat. Bacon, country ham, link sausage. :biggrin:

I haven't tried scrambled yet but I made two fantastic 4 egg omelettes for the first time today and was quite impressed ......newer, heavily used as of the month or so I've had it tho, 10.25" Lodge skillet......newer Glasstop (garbage) range.

I just put the skillet on medium heat with enough e.v. olive oil to cover the bottom......beat the 4 eggs in a bowl and pour into the warm skillet.......patiently keep judging the edges of the egg until I felt it was firm enough to flip......flip the egg omelette & make sure it is straight......lay out my cheese & steak & Veges .......told the other half over and slide that thing to the middle and give it another minute or two .....dang !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 27
I don't usually cook scrambled eggs. But I will do a omelette occasionally in a early BSR #7 that I usually just sauté vegetables and bake in. It looks like wet black coal and very smooth. I had read many times on line that some people have dedicated egg pans only and thought that a bit extreme. But now I think there may be a little truth behind that though?
Also I don't think it and one of my #8's would have any problems doing crepes. Something I'll have to try in the future.

Last edited:
Back