Nanna Moorehouse’s Ginger Gems--Yum!

Hi all, just wanted to let you know that I tried the Nanna Moorehouse’s Ginger Gems recipe, and they are GOOD. My hubby loved them! Thanks, Dan Farmer, for reminding us of this old-fashioned treat.

Last edited:
Hi all, just wanted to let you know that I tried the Nanna Moorehouse’s Ginger Gems recipe, and they are GOOD. My hubby loved them! Thanks, Dan Farmer, for reminding us of this old-fashioned treat.
Its funny how even the name, "Gem" has faded from common use entirely, isn't it? Judging by the number of gem pans out there, they must have been pretty well-known at one time.

I get the impression that they are somewhere between cookie and cake in texture... would that be correct?

I don’t have a gem pan. I don’t want a gem pan. However, I wanted to try Nana M’s gems. I’m a man, I can fix that. I can make a gem!

Very interesting. Not too much ginger. Not too sweet. A texture like a muffin with a crunch. As these are something new to me I suspect the second one will be better than the first and they will grow on me. So I’ll give them an 8 out of 10. I can guarantee if I was a kid out playing after school I would be in line at Nana M’s house if she called.

Hilditch

The gem has a nice pleasant crunch. If you hear a crunch with the other gem it is probably a tooth you hear.

Hilditch

Yup, they grew on me, fast. As I only made 7 gems a couple of days ago I put the rest of the batter in the fridge.

After a Saturday afternoon nap I made the last 4. Fresh & hot they get a (9). A touch of jam goes a long way. A great way to have hot gems twice for the price of once.

Hilditch

Hey Dan, wasn't ignoring your question, but I don't have any experience of gems to compare my first effort with. Like Hilditch, I think my next batch will be better, as the first ones I made seemed a little dry. Hilditch, it was a good idea to use the pan you did, but if you ever want a gem pan, have I got a selection for you! :) Think I'll go make my second effort now--wish me luck guys!

Waking up from an afternoon nap today I needed one or two of Nana Moorehouse’s Ginger Gems. So I made some and I thought I’d bump this thread up for the sake of those that have not tried them yet. They are GOOD! Yes, I used my aebleskiver pan again and got 14 this time.

Here is the link to the recipe that Dan Farmer posted last year:
http://bronmarshall.com/blog/2006_nanna_moorehouses_ginger_gems.html

Hilditch
That was thoughtful to add the link. I'm going to try these the next rainy Saturday that comes.

Hey, Hilditch, thanks! I've got to do these again. Too warm here to bake much in Summer--no excuse now! Thanks again to Dan Farmer for sharing this recipe. Happy Thanksgiving to all--try not to eat too much:tasty:

Back