Friday fun: Pie day

Steven C

I stopped at the store the other day for a couple of things and spotted blueberry filling on markdown, then the voice in my head said pie day.

The recipe couldn't be simpler.
1, open can
2, pour in
3, I did make the crust:)

It was a no name brand so I only bought one to try, since I just got the one I knew the pie would be small so I used a 9" crust and a #7 skillet. And I had lots of leftover room and one side tipped over. I haven't done much with caned filling in a long time and thought it would be fuller. Last couple of years I've done all my pies from scratch and know how much fruit I need in a bowl.

Well here it is out of the oven and cooling. I'm thinking I could of pulled it 5 minutes earlier, but it's going to come down to how it taste.

Steve
::: make this chilly weekend your pie day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 34
I love pie. It's snowing here ... if we get a full inch it will shut down the city and I'll have time to make one tomorrow. Ha!

Thanks for the inspiration!

I had a piece of the pie tonight and wasn't to impressed with the no name brand. It more or less was average at best. With just one 21 oz can I think this would be a good example to have and use a #6 instead of a #7 to make a thicker pie.

Steve,

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Spurgeon, we got some light snow here today and cold. But hey it's Texas it won't be here long. I think Tuesday they are talking mid 50's*

Steve, you got me. Had cherries left over from making pasties and decided a #5 would be the right size. Still not quite enough filling so I added an apple. One fun part was deciding to only put 3 leaves on the plant rather than 5. After some cooling my first cast iron pie slid out onto the platter with Spurgeon’s hovercraft technology using the crust below in a skillet greased with lard.

Thanks for the push, it was fun & tasted good too!

Hilditch

Hilditch,
That turned out nice and a first CI pie. And yes they do slide right out after they cool and firm up a bit.

I have two glass pie dishes I haven't used In 2 years I'm stuck on the skillet version for now. It does a nice job on the crust.

Steve,

Those pictures....its raining hard here in Ca. but those images forced me out to the store to get ingredients. Now I have a CI pie baking.

This thread's inspired me to post a pie I did for Thanksgiving. A French-style pumpkin pie, it was quite a bit different than your traditional American pumpkin pie. Diced pumpkin and apple were cooked in a CI skillet with brown sugar and vanilla bean until soft and jammy but still holding shape, then chopped pecans were mixed in. Filling was put in a rolled-out puff pastry crust and topped with more of the same. This recipe:
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/French-Pumpkin-Pie

I'm really neither much of a baker nor a dessert guy, but I had a giant Cinderella pumpkin and I wanted to do something with it. It was at least 60 lbs; for scale the board it's sitting on is 16.5" square. The larger half I roasted and pureed into a soup while I used 1/4 of the smaller half to make the pie.

This was made in a BSR #8 skillet, so it wasn't small. I served it out of the skillet, didn't think about removing it first; I should try that next time.

I didn't get many pics as I was busy in the middle of hosting Thanksgiving dinner, but here's what I have. It was actually pretty tasty, lightly sweet without being cloying, and the pecans were a nice touch.

Back