HOBO Pies

Ok, So its the end of January and I haven't had a hobo pie in a long time "years", So I went out and bought a couple "Grip" modern pie irons and seasoned them in the oven. I got some apple, blue berry, and peach pie fillings, and some French vanilla ice-cream.
Well its cold outside and I just got a new gas stove so I thought I would make some pies on the stovetop.
Ok so the handles ARE 2 ft. long, and they ARE designed to work with coals.
Greatness comes to those who think outside the box, Right?
Well my results were less than great. Smoke filled house, burnt bread all over my stove, under cooked pies with ashes around the edges, wife laughing at my dumb @$$.

Don't try this at home kids!
I lost some kitchen cred on this one.
Guess I'll wait for spring
Tony

Don't give up! That was only your first try on a gas stove. The second try will be better, etc. This time after closing the shells you may want to trim off all the bread you can see with a paring knife before starting to cook.

Hilditch

We have a pie iron that we inherited from someone at some point...it's a not-so-ancient model that's actually cast aluminum coated in teflon. I've not used it indoors, but have used it while camping for small servings of monkey bread (biscuit dough tossed in cinnamon-sugar) and grilled sandwiches on either my portable charcoal grill or camp stove (propane). Unlike yours, the handles are only about 10-12" long, so it's not the best for campfire use unless you've got asbestos arms or it's really cold out.

Tony don't give up, just step back and and re-evaluate it from another angle. Maybe raise it up a bit with with another grate? You just haven't found the correct combination yet.

A few years ago my oven part went out of my gas stove. I learned how to improvise till I got around to fixing it. The girlfriend at the time told me I couldn't do chicken pot pie on the grill. Well here's is my all from scratch including the crust chicken pot pie on the webber.

Steve,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 17
Back