Looking to find more about this No.4 Griswold

Jeffrey R.

Hi all, I can not seem to find this pan in the BB or the RB. Looking for some help to ID this Pan. I do know that it is a Griswold, HAHA!
Thank you.

Image Image

I thought I had seen this one in one of the books, but maybe not. This one was made in the Wagner plant in Sidney after the 1959 Randall sale of both Wagner and Griswold to Textron, as evidenced by the lack of "Erie, PA". We can also assume that it was produced sometime shortly thereafter by the absence of "Made In USA", which came into use across all makers after the early 1960s. Rather than having modified a small logo Griswold pattern, other aspects of the design indicate a modified unmarked Wagner pattern was used on these so-marked. As such, it's a Griswold in name only.

That would still be considered the small block logo (or trademark). The "small" and "large", as do the "block" and "slant", all refer to the lettering rather than the diameter. Hence there are large block logos that are smaller (in diameter) than some small blocks, like those on toy skillets. And, rather than calling the one seen on the last of the #3 Griswold skillets produced in Erie the "medium" logo, some prefer to call it the "late large" trademark.

Let me clean my glasses. Ok back.

Page 6,BB
Under Abbreviations & Explanations
Large Block Logo 3 1/4" + diameter
Medium Logo 2 1/4" - 2 1/2" diameter
Small Logo 1 7/8" diameter

Now I know that I am new at this CI stuff, but I can read.
So where am I going wrong? Time for some brain food.

If you were able to gather and measure a wide array of Griswold pieces-- skillets, lids, pots, grills, toys, etc, and measure the different styles of logos, you'd find quite a bit of variation. The BB info you reference is a broad, simplistic definition of the logos, and more serves to explain references in descriptions elsewhere in the book, which are quite brief in nature. Although very good reference works, the RB and BB are the product of the experiences of the two authors and a handful of consulting individuals at the time of their publication. In the interim, however, a good number more observations have been made by the collecting community-at-large, and those newer findings have not necessarily found their way into revisions of the BB and RB.

I had a feeling you were going there. So, I take it that this pan is rare as it was made for maybe 1 +/- years with these markings, Pre - Made in USA . So what would you put for a value?

This one is not all that sought after, even though its period of production was ostensibly brief. To the Griswold collector, it's not really even considered a Griswold. That it's a #4 makes it a bit more scarce than others of its type. I would think, in excellent condition, and based on the likelihood that it's polished on the inside, no more than $20-25. Others would probably say less.

I agree with Doug on your No.4 skillet and consider it to be a Wagner since it was made in the Wagner foundry from a modified or copied Wagner pattern with all the features/shape of a Wagner pan. My collecting of iron cookware stops around 1950 for Wagner and Dec. 1957 for Griswold when the last Griswold pieces came from the old foundry. And the trademark on your skillet is a different one from the small ™ that Griswold used. Circles are closer together and the typeface of the print is slightly different, at least I think it is since most Wagner made Griswold pans do use a different ™. Some, like the No.14 skillet used the same ™ as when the pans were made in Erie. All probably tiny details that don't matter to some but I love the details and search out the differences.

Back