Electrolysis amperage

So I'm currently cleaning my third piece of cast iron with electrolysis method. I was interested to see how much amperage is actually being used through that circuit. I hooked up my amp meter and I noticed that while I have my manual battery charger set to 10 amps it's actually only using .75 amps. I was wondering if any of you that are smarter than me have noticed a large drop in the amperage that actually is used. I have a brand new Schumacher battery charger.

As long as it's working, most aren't likely to be concerned by the actual amperage. If it's not, it's owed more to poor connections. Empirical observation tells us that a 2 amp charger works, a 10 amp seems to work better, and that anything over 20 amps is overkill, producing more heat than any real increase in efficiency.

your battery charger isn't one of the 'hi-tech' automatic models is it?
My understanding is that some of the newer models may detect your electrolysis setup as a fully charged battery and drop down to a 'maintain' trickle charge... so as not to overcharge the battery. I believe that is discussed on the electrolysis tank page with info on how to wire in an actual battery into the set up to prevent this.

I wrote a lot of electrical nonsense and deleted it.
Current is drawn by a load, not puled, so I can offer you 100A, but if you ask for (draw) 10, you get 10.
Ohm's Law.

Many years ago I went to school and got a degree in electrical construction and maintenance and have a good understanding of electrical issues but like I said, that was many years ago. I have noticed a coule of things though through my trials.
1) moving to a bigger tank I got closer to 10 amps (perhaps a product of more resistance?)
2) the more anodes the larger current draw
3) the closer the anodes to the metal being cleaned the larger current draw
4) and the more surface area the larger current draw

Now are all of these independently true or do they require another one of the variables to be true? I do not know. But I do know that at least all of them are true with at least one of the other varibles. Perhaps i'll test each individually some time and write up my findings. Time will tell I suppose. I am up to 9 amps though so thats good.

same thing was going on with my tank, but added some more of the Arm and hammer (a couple more scoops) and the voltage went up higher.

RobertA the statement 2,3,4 are correct,the number 1 is less resistance will drawn more current,(less resistance is close to a short circuit)more resistance is like open circuit will drawn less current)

Back