Lodge Reversible Pro Grid Iron Grill/Griddle Seasoning issue?

JoeS

Good morning, hope everyone is doing great. This is my first post on the forum, I did post an introduction on the intro section.

I bought a Lodge Reversible Pro Grid Iron Grill/Griddle last week. I went ahead and did the oven self cleaning method of cleaning it up along with a Griswold #5 I bought. I seasoned both in Crisco and Saturday made pancakes on the Lodge Reversible Pro Grid Iron Grill/Griddle.

I had watched a video in which a guy claim the best way to consistently deliver great pancakes on cast iron, was to cut a potato, and with the white side rub it on the cast iron. Pancakes won't stick and it worked great. After I was done I cleaned it using water, Lodge scrapper, and a Scour Pad.

Yesterday I used the Lodge again for hash browns and bacon. I put the bacon where I had made pancakes the last time. However, at one point the bacon seem to stick to the cast iron. Didn't take much effort to un-stick the bacon, but after I saw a difference in the way it looked. I went ahead and season the grill/griddle with Crisco and this is how it looked at the end.

Anyone familiar with this issue?

Thank you for reading!

Attachments

• WP_20150723_002.jpg
    WP_20150723_002.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 47
  • WP_20150723_001.jpg
    WP_20150723_001.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 48
The stick-resistant surface we covet on CI is a build up of both polymerized fats and carbon. I don't know where these youtube people come up with some stuff. There's also a recommendation out there to clean your CI with a cut potato and salt. Both wastes of a good potato, I usually say. My guess would be your pancakes didn't stick because you liberally oiled the griddle before cooking (plus oil in the batter), and not so much because of the potato. My guess about your bacon slightly sticking is from the sugar in the cure. A newly seasoned CI pan is not going to be as non-stick as one that's been used regularly. Just give it a little time.

Also, Joe, the self cleaning oven method of stripping CI is something that most here will advise against doing. Temperatures for self cleaning ovens can get dangerously high and potentially warp the piece you're stripping and/or damage the iron itself. See here for some more info:

http://www.castironcollector.com/cleaning.php#caveats

I'm just trying to educate here, not make you feel bad. I also did my first pieces in my oven when I started getting into CI. When googling for different methods, it sounds super easy and you already have the equipment. Chances are that your pieces are fine, but I would look into other cleaning/stripping methods for future purchases.

The stick-resistant surface we covet on CI is a build up of both polymerized fats and carbon. I don't know where these youtube people come up with some stuff. There's also a recommendation out there to clean your CI with a cut potato and salt. Both wastes of a good potato, I usually say. My guess would be your pancakes didn't stick because you liberally oiled the griddle before cooking (plus oil in the batter), and not so much because of the potato. My guess about your bacon slightly sticking is from the sugar in the cure. A newly seasoned CI pan is not going to be as non-stick as one that's been used regularly. Just give it a little time.

Good morning Doug D, thank you!

Yeah, most, well all my learning of cast iron is from the internet. I saw some videos where I knew not to do and some like the potato video. So that is why I wanted to find this forum to learn and really take care of my cast iron.

Thank you.

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Also, Joe, the self cleaning oven method of stripping CI is something that most here will advise against doing. Temperatures for self cleaning ovens can get dangerously high and potentially warp the piece you're stripping and/or damage the iron itself. See here for some more info:

http://www.castironcollector.com/cleaning.php#caveats

I'm just trying to educate here, not make you feel bad. I also did my first pieces in my oven when I started getting into CI. When googling for different methods, it sounds super easy and you already have the equipment. Chances are that your pieces are fine, but I would look into other cleaning/stripping methods for future purchases.

Good morning Doug H, thank you!

I understand, I am new and leaning. I used to do car racing and a good racer always learns the ropes from the veteran races. I wanted to learn more about collecting and taking good care of the cast iron pieces I have and will have later on.

With the oven self cleaning, so far I only done it twice. One time for the Lodge skillet I had already (when I got the new skillet, I didn't even seasoned it, I just used it for bacon the next day and even use soap) and wanted to re-season it and take better care. The second time was the new Griswold and Lodge Reversible Pro Grill/Griddle.

I notice the mentioning about vinegar bath, lye, and electrolysis. For older pieces (Griswold, Wagner Wear, Birmingham) I for sure will consider and research the different methods of restoring.

My hope is keep a regular maintenance and never have to re-season it (or does re-seasoning every once in a long while a good idea? )

Thank You again and really learning and excited to go home for lunch & cook some eggs!

You can shorten your learning curve substantially by hitting the Home Page link in the nav bar up top and expanding the menu on the left once there. Anything that's unclear in all that we're always glad to elaborate upon.

Good morning Doug D, thank you!

Yeah, most, well all my learning of cast iron is from the internet. I saw some videos where I knew not to do and some like the potato video. So that is why I wanted to find this forum to learn and really take care of my cast iron.

Thank you.

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Good morning Doug H, thank you!

I understand, I am new and leaning. I used to do car racing and a good racer always learns the ropes from the veteran races. I wanted to learn more about collecting and taking good care of the cast iron pieces I have and will have later on.

With the oven self cleaning, so far I only done it twice. One time for the Lodge skillet I had already (when I got the new skillet, I didn't even seasoned it, I just used it for bacon the next day and even use soap) and wanted to re-season it and take better care. The second time was the new Griswold and Lodge Reversible Pro Grill/Griddle.

I notice the mentioning about vinegar bath, lye, and electrolysis. For older pieces (Griswold, Wagner Wear, Birmingham) I for sure will consider and research the different methods of restoring.

My hope is keep a regular maintenance and never have to re-season it (or does re-seasoning every once in a long while a good idea? )

Thank You again and really learning and excited to go home for lunch & cook some eggs!

Unless your seasoning gets messed up, you should not have to re-season. If you regularly use your cast iron there should be no issue with it going rancid. and if you clean it properly, there should be no issue of building up crustiness.

Think about the cast iron as it was used by our grandparents and great grandparents. They bought it new and then they cooked on it to season it.

Unless your seasoning gets messed up, you should not have to re-season. If you regularly use your cast iron there should be no issue with it going rancid. and if you clean it properly, there should be no issue of building up crustiness.

Think about the cast iron as it was used by our grandparents and great grandparents. They bought it new and then they cooked on it to season it.

Sounds great, thank you. I learned so much today from the website and here. Really excited about joining the forum and finding this site.

Good morning, so this morning had some Airbnb guest over for breakfast. The Reversible Pro Grid Iron Grill/Griddle worked great for pancakes today and I didn't do the potato method. Just butter at the beginning of cooking, and made 8 beautiful barely pancakes.

Thanks everyone for providing feedback!

:razz:

Back