Today's finds

DougH

We went to an antique market, and there wasn't much CI until I stumbled onto one guy with these three that he was basically giving away (we bought several things from him, not just CI).

http://imgur.com/a/98F8u

The pizelle maker does have a repair on one paddle where the hinge is cracked, but I'm hoping it'll hold up ok. And the Griswold gem pan looked interesting to me...not sure what I'll use it for. And then I got the corn stick too just because he was so cheap.

Not bad for a day where I didn't really expect much...mostly because I try not to pay "antique" prices.

Nice score DougH. I think that top right pan is called an Aebleskiver. Used for making round Danish pastries of some sort I think.

Nice score DougH. I think that top right pan is called an Aebleskiver. Used for making round Danish pastries of some sort I think.
I think there was a post sometime fairly recently talking about these types of pans...at least, the pan looked familiar when I found it today. I don't really remember the details, though...I'll have to go digging for that post when I have some free time.

That's what it is. Think of them as a stuffed pancake. Traditionally filled with apple (Aebleskiver = apple sliver), but lingenberry jam is really good too. We make them every once in a while. They are delicious and a nice change of pace. :glutton:

DougH I like the Alfred Andresen. This is a picture of the one I am cleaning up. I think my base needs more time in vinegar.

http://i.imgur.com/UUnCnr3.jpg

Yeah, I liked it quite a bit when I saw it. In fact, I saw it on top of some stuff from across the lawn and bee-lined straight to it :mrgreen:

Is yours here the one you've been talking about recreating handles for? Mine is missing handles, so I'll have to figure out something as well for it when the time comes.

No it's not the one in the picture. I have a Krumkake like yours that I need to make the handles for. The guys in Texas make it sound easy, hopefully it will be. I sure like the handles on the one I showed in the pictures. The old ones are the best.

No it's not the one in the picture. I have a Krumkake like yours that I need to make the handles for. The guys in Texas make it sound easy, hopefully it will be. I sure like the handles on the one I showed in the pictures. The old ones are the best.

Yeah, looking at that picture again, I guess it's obvious those are old...I should pay attention before asking dumb questions :)

Anyway, though, I like those handles too. I do a little woodworking myself, but I don't have a lathe...so they're out of my league at the moment. Maybe I need to buy myself a present so I can make my own handles :chuckle: :icon_thumbsup:

We might end up sending self addressed stamped envelopes to Texas with a little something for their troubles. I know I could just stick a dowel in there but I sure like the thicker handle that is more shaped for a hand hold.

Last edited:
Yeah, I liked it quite a bit when I saw it. In fact, I saw it on top of some stuff from across the lawn and bee-lined straight to it :mrgreen:

Is yours here the one you've been talking about recreating handles for? Mine is missing handles, so I'll have to figure out something as well for it when the time comes.

I had to make some handles for my Alfred Andresen. I went to the hardware store and brought one of the paddles with me, and bought a long hardwood dowel that fit almost perfectly. I then went to the screw section and bought the appropriate sized antique style screw to hold the dowel in place.

Cut two pieces a little longer than I needed, and then used my bench grinder to round the ends. I then cut to length and spray painted them black.

I had to make some handles for my Alfred Andresen. I went to the hardware store and brought one of the paddles with me, and bought a long hardwood dowel that fit almost perfectly. I then went to the screw section and bought the appropriate sized antique style screw to hold the dowel in place.

Cut two pieces a little longer than I needed, and then used my bench grinder to round the ends. I then cut to length and spray painted them black.

Cool, those are good thoughts. Like Bonnie, I like the shaped handles better, but certainly something like what you're suggesting would work fine. And could always be replaced with shaped handles down the road.

DougH I see you said the Krumkake had a repair. Mine also has a repair on the handle. It's definitely an old weld and they did a good job on it. I can't see where your repair is located in the pictures.

DougH I see you said the Krumkake had a repair. Mine also has a repair on the handle. It's definitely an old weld and they did a good job on it. I can't see where your repair is located in the pictures.

I added some close ups of the repair to the bottom of the album here:

http://imgur.com/a/98F8u

It seems to be solid, but it's not very pretty and will be obvious, I think, once all the rust is gone. I haven't been around enough CI repairs to have a feel for whether it's a good one or not, but I'm hopeful it'll hold up over time. If not, I'll have to find a friend who can weld...

Back