blemish in seasoning...

CRHoffman

Stripped and restored using an electro bath. Seasons them using the method outlined in this website and had two skillets develop these blemishes. Any clue what I did wrong?

Attachments

• 20150627_201128.jpg
    20150627_201128.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 20150708_210927.jpg
    20150708_210927.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20150709_203023.jpg
    20150709_203023.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 49
The last picture looks like oil pooling to me. When you wipe the oil on and off for seasoning, put it in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, then take it out and wipe it again aggressively.

For me, that initial heating time will usually cause some oil to pool up no matter how cleanly I feel like I wiped it down the first time. If I don't wipe it the second time and get the excess oil out, it will dry like yours and look mottled.

Thanks for the tip. Will the oil pool even though it was upside down in the oven?

Any tips on fixing the blemish?

Thanks for the tip. Will the oil pool even though it was upside down in the oven?

Any tips on fixing the blemish?

Yes, it will pool even though it's upside down. And maybe "pool" is the wrong way to think of it. It's more like it's gathering in tiny little droplets, and then it becomes a mottled seasoning layer instead of a smooth one. Wiping it thoroughly a second time is the only way I know to prevent that mottled appearance, but others may know something I don't.

I'm guessing that if it's not too bad, and not really sticky, it will even out over time with use. I would say take the normal advice of "don't stress, fry some bacon" :D

Looks like a few pans I seasoned in the past, had a hard time wrapping my head around "very thin layer of oil". Had to strip them and do it over.

Heat seems to break the surface tension of the oil if there's too much on the piece.

Stripped and restored using an electro bath. Seasons them using the method outlined in this website and had two skillets develop these blemishes. Any clue what I did wrong?

Unfortunately, no clue. I have pieces in an E Tank as we speak. Use it all the time. Never had that issue. Did it pit the metal or is it just on the surface?

Back