Help with identification

Robert M.

A little confusion here and I was hoping for some clarification.

Recently I acquired a Regular Skillet, No 9, p/n 710B. On page 21 of the blue book, I found the skillet but the one I have is not iron, it is nickel I think. There are a few spots on the handle that have small chips on it. It looks like the plating has chipped. Any feedback would be really appreciated.

I've attached some pictures of the pan.

Once I find out what it is, then I'll need to figure out how to clean it. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 710B_a.jpg
    710B_a.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 710B_c.jpg
    710B_c.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 43
You have one of those Griswold slant "no Erie" pans. The pattern maker for this particular one for some unknown reason didn't put the "ERIE" on it. Finding nickel plated pieces in unworn condition is rare. You can safely clean it with lye, and just season the bare iron parts to prevent rust. If the remainder of the nickel is not flaking where it would get into cooked food, you should be able to use it safely, if desired. Many times the bottom is just blackened not worn. It may clean up nicer than expected.

Doug . . . Thanks for the quick response.

Lye it is then. 1-2 lbs/5 gal H2O?

Just a thought . . . Is this piece rare and worth something because someone made a mistake or is it not worth as much as its CI counterpart because someone made a mistake?

Thanks again . . . Robert

1 lb. per 5 gallons is fine. Add lye to water, never the reverse.

Since the omission was on the pattern, there were many pans whose molds were made from it. This piece is seen about as often as are the DO lids with the TM misspelled "GIRSWOLD". They are interesting and unusual, but not necessarily more valuable as a result.

So I just did first lye bath about 3 weeks ago and was very happy with the outcome. After 3 days I took out the pan and scrubbed it in the sink with steel wool. After that there was still some stubborn crud left so I put it back in for 4 more days and that pretty much did the trick. I used a small eyeglass screwdriver to clean out some of the lettering and to lightly scrape over a few small pieces of hard carbon crud, back and forth with the steel wool. Light scrape then steel wool, rinse repeat. Then I just started my second lye bath with the same lye and it's working just as good. Here's a bucket that I used. Small legal tote from staples. Has an edge which came in handy for keeping the pan elevated with a coat hanger. It holds 5 gallons nicely. $8 for the bucket.

13244246445_7a57cfbef7_z.jpg

13244250215_9d0950c09e_z.jpg

Back