Is This A BSR #14?

JHarris

Saw this at an antique mall today, and my best guess was a BSR due to the ridge on the handle. I don't think I would ever use a #14, so I didn't really even consider it, but it got me wondering how common/uncommon #14s might be. It was the first one I ever recall seeing, but I haven't been looking for all that long.

At $105, it seemed pretty pricey to me.

https://imgur.com/gallery/7DwMnAS

With the number at 12 o'clock, I would think Lodge. BS&R was at 6 o'clock.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Would this be a #14 No notch Lodge?

lodge seems to have a unique shape to the helper handle... different from the others... I think this is a Lodge. Although I've never seen a no-notch lodge of this size. and I think the BSR has a hanging hole in the helper handle.

I have not been at this long, but it seems the size pushes the price up. The few I have seen have been at the $100 mark. That skillet appears to be in very good shape. I would guess no-notch Lodge as well. The larger skillets I have seen have been "newer".

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Doug's original post. If you zoom in on the pic with the helper handle, I think you can just make out a molder's mark which would support this being a Lodge.

If it's still there next time I hit up that store, I'll check it out. Maybe it will have been marked down some more!

This is a quote from the link above:

Old Lodge catalogs don't list a 14 until purportedly the mid-1930s. No-notch 14s exist, but they appear to be from the 40s, based on the raised !older's mark under the assist handle. Other than that example, I've only seen 3-notch 14s.

Went back to the antique mall and took another look at the #14. It appears to be a Lodge based off of Doug's information above.

408nyWcl.jpg

Back