Paint Removal

PaulM

Found a scotch bowl today, but it appears that someone painted it :/
Looking for the generally accepted as 'best' way to proceed with taking it down to parade rest.
Thanks in advance.

To remove paint,I think Electrolysis is the best,cheapest,fastest,if you don't have an e tank,you can use lye or easy off oven cleaner,

Thank you, kind sir.
I've been reading all the informational bits I can find, and will gather up the stuff I need tomorrow.
Appreciate the info.

this may not necessarily pertain to what your working on if your piece is painted entirely but wanted to add in my experience for anyone who runs into the same situation. I bought a skillet that someone had painted the price on the bottom, immediately put it in the e-tank without first removing the paint, it left ghost marks. layers of seasoning seem to be hiding it, but just a word of advice to use a thinner or carb cleaner to remove paint markings before e-tank. i would assume if it's painted entirely, this wouldnt be an issue

It appears that it was painted in its' entirety at some point, but that is not the case now.
If I do use some solvent, any idea as to whether or not that might interfere with the electrolytic process?
That was one of my concerns.

Follow-on to my earlier post:
I guess it was not paint, must just have been a very even build-up, because the lye tank stripped almost all of it off in a day.
That being said, there is a wickedly stubborn crust on the inside of the bowl, one that has, for the most part, defied my e-tank.
Does anyone have any tricks for the inside of a bowl?
I'm not really keen on having it in the tank upside-down, and generating a fairly large hydrogen bubble...
Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks Jeffrey R. I knew I ws reading an old post but figured another newbe might be reading it and have the same question,

Back