"ERIE" Kettle, Pat'd Mar 1891....

CDLaine

Noticed this 3 leg kettle / pot on making rounds. The pricing seems about reasonable ballpark for what I've seen on-line, but I have no frame of reference for purchasing these from a retail site. Price pre-negotiation was $50.00. A cool piece of history... unfortunately, mostly a cosmetic shelf sitter. I am still thinking about this one... the force is strong with this cast iron. (I like the ring and the overall style).

I thought some here might like to see it....;)

Charles
http://imgur.com/a/GjipV

Hi Charles,

I certainly would scoop it up, it looks to be in great shape, the handle is not bent out of shape. It should clean up beautifully and it is a great piece of history!

It is very unique and even if it is mostly a shelf sitter it is a great piece of cast iron. I have collected and restored several old bowls, kettles or pots and display them with pride; realizing someone else might have bought them and used it in the garden and possibly drilled holes in the bottom!!

As cast iron lovers, I think it is our responsibility to save some of these great old pieces so they are not lost, destroyed or misused.

I wish I lived close to where you live, because if you don't buy it I certainly would!!

Cheers!!.. Eldon

"As cast iron lovers, I think it is our responsibility to save some of these great old pieces so they are not lost, destroyed or misused.".....

now, if I could ony get my bride on to that line of thinking. :icon_thumbsup:

Charles

I have several of the bulge kettles. They make great shelf pieces. The marked ones are fantastic. If in decent condition I leave them in their found state.

Yours looks like it will need to be restored, but still a nice find.

Well...the rest of the story.....

This a.m. the Bride comes in from the other room and says, "I think that
kettle would look really nice right here," (pointing to a small table)... I had no
reason to disagree ;). Drove back over to pick-up the kettle. Not much wiggle
room in the price. (I gave $45.00). Brought it home ...a little soap and water
meet-n-greet, dried, then rubbed with some Crisco. I did not want to muscle
off 100 years of patina... so, I'll let it sit a bit and see if I change my mind.

...on the way home stopped in GW and found the round cast iron disk (under the kettle)
...$3.00. :cool:

Charles
http://imgur.com/a/M7M2o

Thanks for all the comments and appreciation to everyone ("enablers"!). :chuckle:

Just a few thoughts... amazing to have a 100 year old + piece of cast iron in the home. If only this kettle could tell its' story. There is something "extra" to having a Foundry logo'ed piece versus my other "gate marked" kettle / bean pot. I also wanted to give a tip of the cap to all those that go out and find these "in the wild" so guys like me can blow thru and cherry pick and try to get every last dime off the retail price ! :oops::oops:... your labors are appreciated. :bow:

Sean... the GW "disk" (for lack of a better descriptor) is an interesting piece of cast iron... I have no idea what its' original purpose was but am pretty sure I will re-purpose as a trivit for my larger skillets /dutch ovens . It may have started out as a decorative wall hanging (guess). It measures 12" across...and is very hefty. A cool GW find. :cool:

Charles
http://imgur.com/a/gxZyz

That's a beauty! I have an unmarked one that I got lucky and found a camp oven lid that fits perfect. My custom extra deep camp oven 😂

Back