CI I Have Had for Years

KevinB

Back when I was young and poor, flea markets and estate sales were the places to go to find things I needed, for a lot less than you could buy new. My wife and I had a ragtag assortment of pots and pans, mostly castoffs from relatives. We bought a few expensive pieces, and realized that cast iron could be had for a dollar or two, cooked great, and lasted forever if taken care of. These were my "go to" pans for years. They are mostly retired now because my wife insists on over cleaning them, and ruined the seasoning a few times. I still take them out on occasion, wipe them off and put them back before she gets in the kitchen.

The "Skillet Griddle" was one of my first finds. Lots of unhealthy breakfasts cooked in it. I have no idea who made it.

The Griswold I found at a flea market, before I really knew much about collectable CI. That one made a lot of fried chicken.

The smaller skillet I got cheap, and if I were to make a guess, maybe BSR? I got it to use in place of the Griswold, when I wanted something smaller and lighter.

I have a few more kicking around including a Griswold square egg pan, and a few others I can't put my hands on at the moment.

They all need some cleaning and seasoning, but since I've been using them for 40 years or more, I'm not in a hurry.

https://imgur.com/a/C3WN9Mi

Handle isn't at all right for BSR. Is there a possibility of other markings under build-up at 12 o'clock?

The only thing I can see for sure is the "A" on the back. There may be a "7" scribed below the "A", but I would need to get some oven cleaner on it. There may be another scribed "7" on the top, where the handle meets the edge of the pan. It does seem thinner and lighter than a pan I know is BSR and the same size.

https://imgur.com/a/o2LWXD1

I was thinking it may be a Griswold unmarked Victor. There would need to be a 754 on the bottom, though. Victors, being economy brand skillets, are smaller and shallower than regular skillets of the same size number.

Back