Dutch Ovens - Other Than #8s!

Lloyd B

I have a dozen or so DO and nine of them are size 8s. 8s seem to be all I see. I lucked up and found one BSR Century #12 with no lid, a Griswold LBL #6 with no lid, and a Iron Mountain #9 complete. I just won an auction for a late 60's to early 70's #5 Lodge DO with lid. Is it just me or are the non-8s harder to find?

I attended the first night of a large auction recently and bid online for the second night. I was surprised to see a lot of #10 DO. on both days In fact i got a nice Wagner ware #10 Do nickle i assume as it has a grey look to it.

I attended the first night of a large auction recently and bid online for the second night. I was surprised to see a lot of #10 DO. on both days In fact i got a nice Wagner ware #10 Do nickle i assume as it has a grey look to it.

Feed our addiction, post photos!

LloydB
Sorry for the poor pics i will get better ones once i can get to looking at it. I did notice the inside of the lid has some printing but could not read it in this light will get it cleaned a little and do better pics. I assume this one is nickle and will be my first one of this material to try and clean any recommendations ? My plan was to toss it into my lye tank?:?:

Attachments

• 0422181949.jpg
    0422181949.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 0422181949a.jpg
    0422181949a.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 0422181950.jpg
    0422181950.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 39
LloydB
Sorry for the poor pics i will get better ones once i can get to looking at it. I did notice the inside of the lid has some printing but could not read it in this light will get it cleaned a little and do better pics. I assume this one is nickle and will be my first one of this material to try and clean any recommendations ? My plan was to toss it into my lye tank?:?:
Very nice pieces!

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

Just finished this one today

Nice Dutch Oven you have really done a great job cleaning out all the valleys for the lettering any tips on them ?

Nice Dutch Oven you have really done a great job cleaning out all the valleys for the lettering any tips on them ?
Long soaks in a lye tank, weekly SS scrubs until they are clean. 30 minute vinegar / water bath and season. Mostly lots of patience. I don't use brushes or picks.

LloydB
As long as it's cast iron and not aluminium, lye will work fine. I've done 2 or 3 pieces in lye that are nickel plated.

Long soaks in a lye tank, weekly SS scrubs until they are clean. 30 minute vinegar / water bath and season. Mostly lots of patience. I don't use brushes or picks.

Lloyd,

That is a great looking piece!

Mind if I ask a few questions?

What are "SS scrubs"?

Why do you avoid "brushes"?

Thank you.

Lloyd,

That is a great looking piece!

Mind if I ask a few questions?

What are "SS scrubs"?

Why do you avoid "brushes"?

Thank you.

SS Scrubs = scrubbing with stainless still scrubbers from the dishwashing section.

Brushes add more lines that I have to season over, I'd rather work a little harder and not have more lines to hide. Just my personal preference.

SS Scrubs = scrubbing with stainless still scrubbers from the dishwashing section.

Brushes add more lines that I have to season over, I'd rather work a little harder and not have more lines to hide. Just my personal preference.

Ahhh... Good to know.

Thank you.

Not sure what is meant by lines, but any stainless steel brush used should not be so stiff that it marks the iron.

+1, and don't get too aggressive with it. It doesn't take much effort to get the little bit that is left.

I'll just keep being lazy and let the lye do the work. I have about 25 pieces in there so I have plenty to work on while I wait.

Hey Lloyd,

How about a pic of your lye bath? 25 pieces? Must be in your swimming pool (LOL).

Nah, just two 20 gallon plastic totes from the Dolla Stoe.

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Lodge #5

lONDurvs.jpg
tYYzC8ms.jpg
n6rnsNXs.jpg

Back