Lid Identification

Re: Identification

It's all Lodge. Doesn't look like a chicken fryer to me. I believe it's a regular #10 skillet.

Nice find! I agree with the above comments. I believe that is a number 10 skillet with matching lid. I've never seen one with those lines across the lid, though. Very cool.

It would appear the pattern's attached mechanism for retracting the halves of the handles to extract it from the sand mold was or had become visible like a ghost mark.

The skillet is a three notch Lodge. The lid being a Lodge gives me pause. The lid split handle would be unique for a three notch Lodge. Normally Lodge lids basting drippers start with three in a row, then five, then seven, etc. The lid may fit the skillet perfectly, however, the split lifting handle, and the basting drippers would make it very unique to the three notch series.

Logically, on this size lid, the pattern could not be 3,5,7,9 as that would mean the next row would be 11 and 11 would not fit. So there seems to be no reason to doubt it's Lodge based on that. But where the change to a tapered handle falls in relation to the move to the three-notch design I don't think is that cut and dried. One might also expect a lid with this style handle to have a raised molder's mark, but it doesn't.

Logically, on this size lid, the pattern could not be 3,5,7,9 as that would mean the next row would be 11 and 11 would not fit. So there seems to be no reason to doubt it's Lodge based on that. But where the change to a tapered handle falls in relation to the move to the three-notch design I don't think is that cut and dried. One might also expect a lid with this style handle to have a raised molder's mark, but it doesn't.

Doug -- I have two Lodge #10 lids and both are 3-5-7-9. The difference is in the second row, where the OP's lid has 7 drippers compared to the 5 that my lids have. All other rows are the same.

Pic for reference: https://www.flickr.com/photos/139658521@N07/shares/9byn54

Whatever the story is, I think the lid in the OP is something to consider special, as it reveals aspects of pattern making and function most do not often realize.

Back