Give Me Some Input if You Will

I’ve got one skillet that does nothing but give me fits. I use to cook my taco meat in the skillet and I believe that’s what caused the issue.

0A84D26A-915E-4EC5-9C30-E0F34E34ECFC.jpg

See how rough the pan is? I’ve seasoned it with crisco,
Starting at 200, all the way up to 400 for a hour. Still, no improvement. I’ve been fighting with this pan for nearly 6 months. I’d love to get it nice and smooth like all of my others. Anymore, chicken, eggs, and cornbread are all that are fixed in this pan.

Thank you for your input.

Sincerely,

Joseph

The skillet walls appear to be that of a vintage polish ground pan. What's on the bottom looks extremely thick, so I am assuming that is not the texture of the iron itself. Is that the case?

The pan was cast around 2012, it’s not old at all. But it’s not been until the last 6 months that it’s turned into a real nuisance. Granted, my eggs do not stick, but it’s not smooth. It’s wiped down with a light coat of oil after every use. All my other pans are smooth.

I have stripped this one a couple of years ago and the iron itself is smooth.

Here is a better photo.
A8076449-7A35-4BDE-A1C9-F66A9BE963C6.jpg

So, do you clean with water to get the crusty stuff out of the skillet before applying a coat of oil, or are you wiping as much crusty stuff out of the pan and oiling over what crusty stuff remains?

If you are "browning" hamburger for tacos with a cover, you could be "steaming" the seasoning off the surface of the skillet.

I’m using my pan, when it is still warm to the touch, I am washing with a bristle brush, no soap, drying in the oven at 200 degrees for 15 minutes, applying a thin coat of oil, wipe it off again, oven at 350 for 15. Let it cool.

Hmmm. And you have used Crisco (I use lard) from the beginning? I have a #6 Griswold that has never really taken a good season. Don't know why. All my other CI--Griswold, Wagner, BSR--have seasoned just fine...specially the Wagners. I love my Wagners.

Maybe our two skillets have hexes on them? LOL

Back