How Do You Collect?

SeanD

I was just wondering how you all on here collect CI? I myself usually buy them, cause I want a prime example of the maker/size.I have been lucky enough to find a few, but not many , and I have around 150 pieces. So.....how do you collect?

My favorite part of collecting cast iron is the hunt. It’s relaxing, fun, and has been a learning experience. None of my collection came from EBay, all found in the wild. My collection consist of a mixed bag from marked branded pieces, unmarked pieces, old gate marked pieces and some modern pieces. I enjoy the hunt even if I come home empty handed, but it’s exciting to walk in a shop and spot a treasure with a bargain price!

I have too agree with Russell, the hunt of finding that piece. I've found most at decent prices. Thrift stores, antique malls, antique stores, Goodwill with some eBay. Maybe 5-7 pieces have come from eBay. I've collected about 100 and have given about 20 away to family and friends.

Finding that nice piece for little to nothing or that diamond in the SERIOUS rough.

I go looking for pieces even when I don't need anymore (I don't really know when that is though) as a way to relax as well.

I have like 250 pcs half collectible and half modern pieces,I don’t care if it’s pitted,if the logo is good I still buy it,i would like to put together a set even if some of those pieces are pitted,rather half a set with good or expensive pieces,if I see something already have for $3-4 dlls I’ll buy it,eventually I will sell those pieces for double or triple than I paid,
I have a lodge #9 very bad wobble I will keep it is the only one I have I paid $10 dlls or get one on eBay for $120dlls,I collect for fun and like these people said is very exciting find a treasure for a few dollars,only 2 of my pieces are from eBay and those were cheap,I only like BSR,lodge and Wagner,some times you are looking for something specific and when you gave up,there is for a fraction of the money you were willing to pay for that.

If I see something that I like I buy It. My collection is small compared to most. It consists of about 20 skillets. 2 griddles, 2 dutch ovens, a sportsman grill, and a waffle iron. If I find cheap #8 or #9 skillets of good quality ill buy them for give-a-ways to people interested in cast iron cooking.

Thanks to all for the comments. I too like the hunt, but Im telling you, Central PA is almost barren of good CI, unless you get REALLY lucky. I find a few at a local Antique Shop, most are in rough shape, but thats the fun part. Plus I have been given CI from family.

I bought my first spider skillet at Lacon Trade Day, a small flea market in North Alabama in 1986. Paid five dollars for the N0. 12 with matching lid. I have focused on gate marked spiders and pig ear dutch ovens. I have a large collection of matching and wedded-matched lids that fit. I also collect the want to be Blacklock skillets, if someone nails down the documentation to prove the style, I'm in luck.

Back