Modern Production

EricRoot

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-lodge-cast-iron-skillets-are-made-in-tennessee-maker-tour-206834#_

Interesting slide show of the modern lodge production process. I found it interesting that the article describes the pieces being "shotblasted with a fine steel shot to remove any residual molding sand, then it's ground, polished, rinsed, and hung to dry". But if you follow the photo slideshow, there is no "polishing" step. Something like what they show in the link here . When I can buy a lodge pan at Walmart for $20 with an "as cast" finish, I can't help but wonder how prohibitively expensive one that was actually finished would really be. I guess lodge has determined the market and/or profit margin just aren't there.

The polishing referred to in this case, the process where the "cookware is power scrubbed in bath of small steel pieces and soap and water to enhance its surface", is what's more often called tumbling. In the old days, pieces were just tumbled in dry metal bits, which provided a basic level of surface polish.

Back