Can You Weld Cast Iron?

DRojas

I recently purchased a CIW Caribe XII hibachi grill and to my surprise the food grate has a crack on the edge of the grate.

Can you weld the grate or is there another method to fix the crack?

Need help!

Thanks!

sort of and it depends...it's complicated.

There is 'welding' where you repair with a similar material or brazing where you repair with a material like brass (lower temps)...you would have more success welding two separate pieces together rather than trying to weld something like a crack in a skillet... the problem seems to be the temperatures that you have to heat the whole piece to and expansion/contraction issues from the heat of the weld and then the cooling process...

this article explains it better than I could.
http://weldit.com/cast-irons/

D_Madden,

Thanks for the article...I read something very similar to that this morning but it still sounds complicated. Ha!

I came across a website that tells you how to apply an epoxy putty to broken cast iron. From the reads and looks of how it's done, it looks like I will give it a go! I have nothing to lose but to try it and hope that it works affectively!

Again, thank you for the article!

Epoxy is like plastic,resin,there is no way to weld a pice of metal with plastic, it is like you put a bubble gum on the crack,some people says nothing to lose,
Well.... only $12 dolls on the epoxy,and the time and the frustration what you did,didn’t work even you follow the instructions correctly on the package.

I agree with you about Epoxy because that was the same theory that crossed my mind, bubble gum!

Yes, I am/was willing to spend the $12 to al least try it. Maybe it will hold up for a year or two or don't try and never know if it truly will work.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

D_Madden,

Thank you!

I was looking at something very similar from JB Weld. I will purchase it and give it a shot!

Again, thank you!

I will keep you posted to let you know if it works!

Daniel

I totally agree with the JB WELD. There are different kinds of it, regular, quik set, underwater set, ect. For something like a grate on that cooker, it should be the perfect fix. You can sand/grind it smooth once its set, You cam also drill holes in it, like metal. Thats how i would fix it. Hope you got a good deal on it!

Back