Hot Cooking

W. Hilditch

Steve got me thinking. (No s*** Hilditch!) When I’m browning 2 lbs. of ground beef for chili I get my Lodge 10SK smoking, add the meat and turn it up to avoid the meat losing its moisture and stewing itself. Same with 2 lbs. of onions. I’m comfortable doing that with heavier vessels.

Do those of you using thinner/lighter vessels feel comfortable doing the same as above?

Hilditch

Heavy skillet for high temps as you mentioned.

Before I came to this site I have to admit to throwing the heat to my thinner/lighter skillets. I have mended my ways though. No harm but I use gas in the kitchen which seems to give more control with temp.

Steve got me thinking. (No s*** Hilditch!) When I’m browning 2 lbs. of ground beef for chili I get my Lodge 10SK smoking, add the meat and turn it up to avoid the meat losing its moisture and stewing itself. Same with 2 lbs. of onions. I’m comfortable doing that with heavier vessels.

Do those of you using thinner/lighter vessels feel comfortable doing the same as above?

Hilditch

No way. That's what the heavy iron is for. The best part of having a little of everything vs. being married to a single brand is always having the right tool for the job.

Last edited:
No way. That's what the heavy iron is for. The best part of having a little of everything vs. being married to a single brand is always having the right tool for the job.

I used my thin Sidney to sautee an onion and brown a pound of elk the other day...worked out well, especially for the first use after restoration. I'm realizing that was likely not the best tool for the job - my 1990s Lodge (which came from Walmart in Killeen, TX) probably was. I'm on an electric stove (grrrr!), but hadn't considered the risk of warping that old Sidney.

Hilditch, thanks for letting me know that I got you thinking, and the BFO which came from Ty's post! There's a lot more technique to regularly cooking with CI than I'd anticipated.

Steve

I have a Wapak 10 that is relatively thin. I have gotten it up to 5/6 on my gas stove a couple of times to sear a steak, but I took my time getting there. Started on low and let it be for 5 minutes or so...then up to 2 and let it be, etc. Who knows, it might be able to handle quick heat, but I don't have any intention of finding out.

I have a Wapak 10 that is relatively thin. I have gotten it up to 5/6 on my gas stove a couple of times to sear a steak, but I took my time getting there. Started on low and let it be for 5 minutes or so...then up to 2 and let it be, etc. Who knows, it might be able to handle quick heat, but I don't have any intention of finding out.

What he^^^ said.

Back