• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Ham & Turkey Club Sandwich

W. Hilditch

To my enjoyment when I ordered one of these in the 60’s they were the same in all the restaurants in Western New York. Not so today. Every restaurant in the country has their own version so I make my own. I can’t remember ever being able to eat a whole one on square bread so I use ciabatta and it works out great per person. All ingredients should be at room temp + warm bacon.

Toast w/mayo
Bacon from your CI skillet
Sliced tomato w/salt & pepper
Lettuce
Toast w/mayo top, butter bottom
Turkey
Ham
Lettuce
Toast w/mayo

Build in order from the bottom up. Don’t forget the 4” sandwich picks. The one below was made with deli meats and gets an ‘8’. If you happen to have a roasted turkey breast and a home baked ham it’s a ‘9’.

Side note: The order of ingredients in a sandwich is important. If cynical, turn your sandwich up side down and take a bite. It will taste like a different sandwich unless you made a one way sandwich. Watch a 2 yo eat a PB&J sandwich. There is a very high probability they will eat it jelly side down for a reason.

Hilditch

Thanks Scott. I feel like an unqualified novice that learns a little about some things along the way. There is so much to learn in the culinary world that I don’t know about cooking, eating, manners and even cast iron, which Doug will confirm.:) Maybe next time around I’ll start off in a finishing school followed by chef school instead of Kent State. Then I might be able to write a book without BS like Pierre Franey. There is a lot of art involved.

Hilditch

I always eat PB&J jelly side up...always. I don't have a reason, other than that's the way I do it. Am I missing something here? Is my life about the change?

Maybe. Try a half jelly side down. The down side seems to get to the taste buds on your tongue first and affects the overall flavor. Try it on any 2 way sandwich where the additions/condiments are on one side. A local joint builds their burgers up-side down. They don’t taste right but it helps kill the flavor of the meat. Notice McD’s quarter pounder with cheese that they slip a little cheese under the meat to help the flavor.

Hilditch

I'm going to have to experiment. I will say this...as this has been bouncing around in the back of my head, I'm reminded of a lunch I had last week. Local restaurant added a Cranberry Turkey Club sandwich to their menu for winter, and I tried it. They had the Cranberry jam on the bottom layers of the club, and it did really stand out flavor-wise.

Cranberries and mustard can overwhelm more delicate flavors.

I found that the flavor can get boring after a few bites of a sandwich so I flip it over for a bite and then go back if I choose. A cool part is if you try both ways you will probably tell some difference and then get to choose which way you like best - for today anyway.

Hilditch

If you think about it, your tongue has the taste buds while the roof of your mouth doesn't. So I'd say that what's on the bottom of your sandwich is the most flavorful when you first bite. I guess it's what you want to taste more is which way you eat it.

Scott

Those tomatoes look very flavorful. Ratios are critical in a PBJ, and what trumps that in a club is texture. The flavors can be great, but the bacon has to be crisp here and not chewy. Nothing worse than having to manage a piece of jerky-bacon amidst a mouthful of club sandwich (or BLT). Details are nice, but ya gotta have the basics :p

...and Lucy was right: a jelly bread sandwich must be folded over. Cut it and the magic is gone.

Thanks Scott. I feel like an unqualified novice that learns a little about some things along the way. There is so much to learn in the culinary world that I don’t know about cooking, eating, manners and even cast iron, which Doug will confirm.:) Maybe next time around I’ll start off in a finishing school followed by chef school instead of Kent State. Then I might be able to write a book without BS like Pierre Franey. There is a lot of art involved.

Hilditch

You do not give yourself enough credit. Cooking is an art. Every artist has a different style. The fact that you have your own unique style and skill thus makes you an artist.

Aw heck, everyone knows that Friday's turkey is always better than Thursday's turkey. And besides, what doesn't warm bacon and cold Mayo make better?

Scott

Back