Clean or Not to Clean?

Boots Hawks

Just one question and I'll shut up. I know with many collectibles to maintain value it's better not to clean or do repairs, like coins, comic books and many others. I enjoy cleaning my cast iron and making them look good, is this a bad idea? Some of them get pretty crusty.

Removing built up crud on the outside isn't a bad idea. If your pans are smooth as glass on the cooking surface, I would not strip the seasoning.

There was a post earlier this month about how to remove heavy crud from the outside without stripping the pan. You might want to read that post if you have pans like that.

Welcome to the forums!

If using methods approved by the general collecting community, a restored pan should hold a marginally higher value than an unrestored identical example of the same pan. The thinking being the trouble of doing it yourself has been saved, and defects that otherwise might be hidden by the build-up will be discernable.

I know what you mean, I had the same reaction when I first started getting into cast iron - many other collectibles lose value if you clean them up. But not these, as long as you don't damage them in the process.

I know when I look to purchase a new piece I'd rather have it kind of nasty so I can get a lower price and because I get excited about what I'll find when I get it cleaned. I guess when I clean and I find a rough area on the cooking surface I shouldn't smooth it out with sand paper. I've been using 400 grit which gives it a super buttery smoothness. I'll start just brill pad from now on. Thanks, I'll check to see if I can find the thread on cleaning the outside without disturbing the cooking surface.

Buying crudded up pans carries an assumption of risk. You can end up with a diamond or a lump of coal. If you can afford the risk, no problem.

If you don't absolutely know the history of the pan, it's the inside you should be concerned about cleaning more than the outside.

You should avoid any process that changes the original texture of the iron. 400 grit shouldn't do anything to an already polish ground area like a cooking surface, but can change the patina of an as-cast outer surface.

I restore the vast majority of my CI. A few of my bulge kettles and G.F. Filley display better with their original patina.

Back